Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Request for Flooded Forts  (Read 985 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
A Request for Flooded Forts
« on: May 11, 2009, 02:58:13 pm »

Hello, by fortresses seem to be safe from this, so some people upload for me a few of the fortresses they have flooded so that i might take the survivors and start a grand drainage project to restore it to glory?

Really, i've only managed light flooding myself, never this fortress crumbling stuff.

Both water and magma are fun in their own ways, and I promise maximum hilarity from my drainage methods.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: A Request for Flooded Forts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:27:34 pm »

Channel a water source to your main stairwell. That'll get you all the flooding you need.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »

Sometimes what is lost is best kept underwater.
Signature goes here.

chaos985

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 04:48:45 pm »

Channel a water source to your main stairwell. That'll get you all the flooding you need.

Not if you have plenty of hatch covers throughout, and all the branches have doors on them.

Any place where Water is a potential risk should have at least double doors.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 05:09:18 pm »

I have a very large area of my bottom fort layer mined out. I don't use it for anything, but I mined it out to scout for the magma pipe. This means I have an amazingly huge area for water to spread out in. When my population's happiness gets to low I just flood my well and make a cascade down my main staircase. Mist all over everyone, stoping any tantrum spiral about to happen. And the large area means I can run it for minutes at a time without worrying about it getting to deep to dry up eventually.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 05:22:48 pm »

Yeah, my forts don't flood even if I pipe an entire river into them.

In fact, only my first ever fort flooded, and that was before I had indoor stockpiles so it was just an extra waterfall that I could diga new one next to.

I miss my 10z from one way, 3 from the other cliffs and waterfalls *sniffles*

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:16:23 pm »

I, too, have always been too careful with water to experience any drastic flooding. I put doors everywhere so the one time I can recall having an unexpected flood it just filled up one room (and all I had to do was close the main inflow valve for a while to let it drain again).

Just recently, though, I deliberately had a bit of Fun with a huge mountaintop reservoir perched overtop of my fortress. I had it rigged to flush out my courtyard with vast amounts of high-pressure water, sufficient to build a temporary "water pyramid" over it and drown goblins without needing a roof over them, and decided to see how it would flow through my corridors and mine shafts if I set my airlock the wrong way when I opened it. Even with doors everywhere, maybe a third of my rooms wound up flooded. Dwarves would struggle desperately through the 7/7 halls in search of air, open the nearest unflooded room to take a gasping breath, and instantly doom everyone that had been cowering inside as the still-pressurized water swept through in a matter of seconds.

I "re-ran the simulation" (ie, save-scummed) three or four times and found that very different groups of dwarves would survive each flood even though they started out identical.  I also found that having deep mineshafts to drain water into didn't help much in the short term since they were all very narrow - even pressurized the water didn't flow down them fast enough to make a short-term difference. In the long term it was different, since the reservoir had a limited amount of water in it the mines eventually drained the majority of my fort. The flooded rooms had to have their doors taken off their hinges once the water levels outside had gone below 7.

I _almost_ had my first tantrum spiral. Several dwarves did go mad. But the populace pulled back from the brink, darnit. It turned out that my dining hall was highly flood-resistant... though one time it did flood was a lot of fun for the dwarves that died in it, since the walls were riddled with windows looking out over open unflooded space. :)

I can certainly see the appeal of the challenge of recovering a fort like this. It'd be even better if once Toady puts in the limits on map-reveals we could have fortress reclaimation where you can't see everything at once - the excavation and draining operation will become much more of a delicate task if you don't know which doors have an ocean straining behind them.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:35:59 pm »

Well, thing is, I have a VERY clear idea of how my rooms will drain as I designate them.  I want a chalenge, indeed, a map i dont know the quirks of to take risks on.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:24 pm »

Strangely enough, I don't think I've ever had a flood.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:45:01 pm »

Bryan, that is epic. I kind of want to try this now.

You need to write that up into an amusing short story.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 09:00:56 pm »

I have a fortress that I "redirected" a river into and took special precautions to block every last dwarf inside while the water slowly rose.

I also think, just for extra fun, there's a trade caravan locked JUST inside, slowly losing their minds.

Sadly, the map is lacking in HFS or magma, though its at maximum savageness and there's sand everywhere.

If you like, I can upload it to the file depot. A warning, though: It was genned on a version from early '08.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 08:20:55 am »

hmmm. how fast is your pc? ive got an enormous mega fort. i think its 5 by 5, but ive dug extensively all over the place, built towers everywhere with bridges, and put up 2 dams, one of which is 28 z levels high and can be used to instantly flood a massive portion of the fort underneath it. if you want i can start it filling up, and unleash demons everywhere and abandon during a goblin invasion. if you reclaim there will be safe and dry quarters and walled farming areas around the big dam while you organize yourself to take back and drain the main fort.

only issue is that while the fort will instantly fill halfway upon letting the dam into the lower levels, it will take several ingame years to fully fill. the dam is off the edge of a giant cliff with the fort entrance level to its top.

here it is, though i think ive played for another 5 ingame years and added a lot more drainage, as well as more mining, smelting and random towers and tunneling. i was aiming to set the place up to be an epic adventure mode playground while i waited for my turn in the world of traps and attractions thread.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5254-friendlyworks