Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alphabetical Menus  (Read 798 times)

Kdansky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alphabetical Menus
« on: May 20, 2009, 12:29:10 pm »

I know, I will get flamed. Horribly.

Would it be possible to have the menues (especially Build) sorted in an alphabetical fashion? That would reduce the amount spent searching for the hotkeys a lot. Hardcoded menues are easy enough to change, dynamic menues can just be run through a sorting algorithm, for example Quicksort on a reference parameter, which runs in place and can be copy-pasted from wikipedia.

That should take all of 10 minutes to implement and would save everyone learning the "interface" a lot of time. To roughly quote a Blizzard Dev: If you can spend x time in programming, you should invest it where it makes the biggest difference.

Now you may pile the dirt on me for suggesting something that would improve the game a lot while taking very little coding work. Before you say: "But you can use the current UI too!", think about this: You *can* also cut your hair with a butcher's knife or you could write with your blood on paper instead of a pen. It would work. Would you do it? If DF wasn't as awesome as it is, you would never bother with it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:58:11 pm by Kdansky »

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Alphabetical Menus
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:29 pm »

I'd like to suggest that there be two catagories that are alphabetized: leading to another menu or not. They should be organized with the first being first on the list, and the second being second on the list.

For example, in a craftsdwarf's workshop, the make bone bolts and make totem options should come after the rock and wood choices.

Not sure how easy it is, but a small improvement would help, here.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Kdansky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alphabetical Menus
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:24:21 pm »

Something along the lines of:

+Aa
+Bb
+Cc
A
B
C

where the "+" denotes that there is a submenu hidden for Aa, Bb, Cc respectively? Along the lines of windows explorer, where folders usually come on top? I can fulheartedly agree!