Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tricksy Hummies  (Read 615 times)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
Tricksy Hummies
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:27:45 pm »

I was just wondering, I usually play DF as the tall, mostly beardless, aboveground dwelling, tricksy hummies and i was just wondering who else plays as them?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Tricksy Hummies
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:32:02 pm »

Once in a while I will. Dont really care to much for the humans... I find it hard to build above-ground fortresses fast. Whats your key to success with them?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:35:45 pm »

I just bring at least 2 woodcutters/carpenters, screw the anvil, and grab one miner. Then i just build a barracks, group all the workshops around the stockpiles outside and keep them happy while i crank out houses like a madman.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:39 pm »

I've played as humans more often then I have with dwarfs, I find above-ground building much more interesting, despite the fact that it is indeed challenging to start out.

Humans have some aweful flaws though: there are a number of things they can't make (like corkscrews), and they generally don't know what to do with their woodcutting axe once theyre done felling a tree, so they jump back and forth onto it, apparently trying to breed a lumberjack-elemental.
They also seem to be a bit buggy when it comes to picking artifact ingredients (they dont seem to accept cloth that is imported, or shells that were not around before they claimed a workshop). I've also heard rumors that after a few years they stop breeding amongst themselves.. but I think this is healthy, considering the fact that humans do not like inbreeding very much.
There are also some jobs you can't pick for them; you have to wait for a migrant to arrive with such skills.

But since Toady never even designed the game to be played as a human in the first place (other then adventure mode), it's still pretty neat. It's also awesome to have 12 fully steel-plated sword-fighting champion knights kick butt. (though novice marksdwarves on the wall are still deadlier :p)

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:33:48 am »

OH, and if you play as humans, you also have to edit the humans so they don't send you a liaison ánd negotiator every time they visit. You also have to edit the dwarfs so they actually come and visit you.

And last but nog least, goblins seem to be allied with humans in a few world gens.. I still haven't figured out why.