Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An interesting location (volcano surrounded by deep canyons)  (Read 1206 times)

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Using Orc mod only. In the middle-bottom-right region (a fair bit below the middle right ocean), you should spot a volcano surrounded by rivers. There are quite a few magma vents in the woodland region, more than enough water and wood... and the shocking thing is that the cliffs are extreme in this region. You have wide valleys that suddenly rise in extreme cliffs. Oh yeah, the HFS is about, too. The region is calm. I don't see much in the Flux department, but I don't think that is an issue; there are more than enough civs to trade with.

Should be an interesting location for megaprojects... For example try to block the whole valley between cliffs with your fortress and demand toll from travelers.

The deep canyons are surrounding a volcano. There is a site nearby, a few caves... what more could you ask for?

Many legends are waiting to be unfolded there!

I am going to build a dam. No, not just any dam... THE DAM. Flood the whole valley out! What is more dwarvenly than that? Oh yeah, a dam of magma.

That makes me wonder; if I embark onto locations around the volcano and build the mega dams, will they remain there after abandoning? Will the area outside of the embark site get flooded? That is, if my construction projects will impact the region?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:06:23 am by Mipe »

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting location (volcano surrounded by deep canyons)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:01:40 am »

Unfortunatly not yet, your construction will remain there, and the valley will flood when you try to reclaim, but it won't influence the region (yet).

It isn't planned yet for the next update (I think), so it could take quite some time till it's implemented.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:11:38 pm »

what happens if you go there in adventure wont you see the water overflow ?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 04:18:11 pm »

If you make the construction, activate it and then abandon, you can reclaim or go there in adventure mode and see the actual flooding (time stops when you abandon, but by some  magical effect all enemies and items are strewn around). But when you let it flood in fortress mode, and make sure not all of your dwarves die, (just lock them up in a small underground room with a closed, locked door) I think you should be able to reclaim, but you will drown instantly if magma is used, complete flooding is impossible with water because it flows of the side of the map. I would like to see the effect of taking a larger embark area and seeing all the magma spread out, would the brave reclaimers be instantly burned, or will the magma spread out enough for save passing?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:25:09 pm »

Hey! You have a nice way to test your defenses! The elves nearby will get really pissed when you cut down their trees!

Magma + Elven attackers = joy in its purest form

Hope you like elf skull totems...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:44:11 am »

I've built a similar very large dam (a DF dam also has to have some sort of wall at the edge of map too of course). Unfortunately now I've finished it I can't fill it up. Besides the FPS crushing calculations I'm only a using a river and the water just eveaporates too quickly to fill it up.

I imagine this would be even worse with magma.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:16:33 pm »

hmm, I've not tried the orc mod yet.  Would someone care to upload a file with this map gen?

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 03:46:33 pm »

sorry if this sounds noobish, but what do you do with the world gen parameters?  I've been putting them in one by one by hand.  Is there any easier way of doing this?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:23:20 pm »

Past therm into the world gen perramiters txt

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »

ahh I found it
DF/data/init/world_gen.txt
thatks