Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I just beat Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 6784 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just beat Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 10:56:39 pm »

That's exactly the type of miracle that will be desired from dwarf prophets once a religiony arc is done.

If you are truly the voice of Armok, turn the water into booze and the booze into magma!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 11:52:04 pm »

no it made of the dropped remains of their space colonies.

You see, every so often those colonies have to dump their septic tanks. The gravity from various worlds sucks the waste in, and that's what makes up the atmosphere. We are living in $&*@. Guess that's why life is full of it.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 09:47:16 am »

I think you just broke DF, not beat it. Remember: in DF there are no laws of physics. Leave that lake there for several years. And yes, I would like to see that save

DFFD is being quite silly at the moment for me. Chrome isn't uploading anything, and Firefox can't log in. It's quite odd, but I do have a server space of my own and I could put the save and related files there.

You'll notice in his video that he loo'k's over the tiles that are magically suspending the water, and they say Chasm, not Open Space.

Magma flow tiles are sort of pseudo-chasms, in that items and creatures will fall through them to the abyss, yet magma can still rest on them. Maybe something like that is going on.

That is most likely what is going on. The bits of water that fall from the upper z-levels seem to disappear upon touching the upper bit of the new lake. I could potentially test or break this theory in a way. I could remove the doors to the lake at the bottom z-level, or I could dig around it and open a way. I won't do that, however, until I have the save released publicly over the interwebs.

One thing that is bugging me is that the 2 z-level lake has a water color  as if you were 1 z-level above the water itself (the darker water color seems to indicate that there's water on the z-level below), but for both z-levels (if that makes sense).
Basically, I think the game is telling me that there's water on a z-level below, but it does that for both z-levels. It is a very, very weird bug.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 09:52:06 am »

You beat Dwarf Fortress when you die.

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 07:48:09 pm »

But why would you want to beat Dwarf Fortress?. Word on the street is that losing is fun!

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 07:54:32 pm »

Word on the street is that losing is fun!
I imagined the fonz saying that.
Now I have to sig it.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 08:08:58 pm »

see: my sig quote :)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman