Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Above-ground fortresses: Design and Discussion  (Read 2487 times)

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: Above-ground fortresses: Design and Discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »

The draft thing happens when you recruit them and they don't have at least novice in a military skill.

In my sig I have a castle type building that is half underground and half above ground, the link in my sig is the old version since I have done more work on it but have yet to upload the newer version. I basically dug out the large open spaces because I needed the ice to build the large parts that are above ground.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 05:59:11 pm »

Check out the "holy of holies". With lots of rock and wood, it would be the "ideal" place to start your above ground castle. Im starting one now.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32682.0
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 07:58:12 pm »

Also, another major issue is the amount of resources and labor it takes to cut/dig and build all structures. Migrations bring anywhere from 5-20 dwarves which could take anywhere from 1-3 seasons to build. The first people to come can ONLY be carpenters, wood cutters, masons and miners.
However, you could also just dig your fortress out and build onto it. If not, claim a human city! The tailed "u"s are half built human cities (half built? Or abandoned?)
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 08:50:49 pm »

Also, another major issue is the amount of resources and labor it takes to cut/dig and build all structures. Migrations bring anywhere from 5-20 dwarves which could take anywhere from 1-3 seasons to build. The first people to come can ONLY be carpenters, wood cutters, masons and miners.
However, you could also just dig your fortress out and build onto it. If not, claim a human city! The tailed "u"s are half built human cities (half built? Or abandoned?)
They're abandoned ruins

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 09:20:42 pm »

They're abandoned ruins
And the structures are half-gone. Not terribly good for rebuilding.
 I generally do whatever I want on a relatively flat embark area. Thus no elevation change will harm my designs.
 Healedabby was inspired from designs of actual castles, so be sure to do at least a little research on floorplans.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 10:54:53 pm »

The outdoor fortress in my sig is an immigration only fortress. Most of it was built with around 17 laborers (2 permanent military). Digging is fast, and clear division of jobs speeds things up quite a lot.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 12:18:20 am »

*coughs* Roof Dwelling took me about 30 years to build though... seeing as I made it all out of manufactured obsidian  ::)
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 10:16:08 am »

I am building my city out of the gabbro I dig out in the bottom z-level. As of now, I have dug out a large 30x40 room (I think) and have depleted half of that in making my bottom story.

I might change my mind and start over, because I saw Roofdwelling... I'm serious  :P

Since I am still pretty fresh to this game, I need to find out how to configure pumps to create an obsidian factory. As far as I can tell with what I have done with my city so far, no magma is present, although I chose a site with felsite. Obsidian is a no-go where I am at as a result...

I need to build something like Roofdwelling. So inspirational! :D

I'll put my Minas Tirith on hold most likely and generate a new world.

Should I choose a relatively flat location containing a brook, with both a flux stone and igneous extrusive rocks to get the best of both?

Please do not suggest for me to use reveal, because I enjoy the thrill of discovery.  :)

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 10:19:54 am »

Oh, and about 3Dwarf... my computer does not have internet, so how am I supposed to import maps? Putting core.xml files in /conf is all I know, but where do I find those?

Have pity, I am risking looking stupid for asking... :-[

Oh, and sorry for the double post.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:21:50 am by johnnybeltz »

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 11:55:56 am »

Oh, and about 3Dwarf... my computer does not have internet, so how am I supposed to import maps? Putting core.xml files in /conf is all I know, but where do I find those?

I find this highly unlikely.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 06:09:14 pm »

I find this highly unlikely.

Haha I thought the same thing, I think what he means is his computer he uses for playing DF is not connected to the internet.

If I'm right, then you could transfer your data through a thumb drive or burnt CD.
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 09:10:00 am »

I should have been a little more elaborate in explaining my situation. What I really meant to say was that the computer I run DF on does not have internet, but I have access to internet elsewhere (or I wouldn't be on this forum). I was not looking for a medium to transfer files between the two comps, I was asking for the location of those xml files online.

Anyways, I found a download for those core.xml files online, but it for the tweak program, and under a different name (version.xml). After renaming it, I ran 3dwarf offline and it worked. I could not find the core.xml file for df 40d11, but I heard that there was a patch for 3dwarf that allows for reading of 40d11 maps. I might be able to scrounge around the internet and find it.

In other words, that problem is solved.  :D

My apologies for changing the subject.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:31:44 am by johnnybeltz »

Jeff Carr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JeffCarr.info
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 07:42:54 am »

My favorite way to design above ground fortresses, is to have one only for civilian use and one entirely for military and the woodcutter(s), and connect the two with a bridge (for caravans) a few z-levels above the ground.  If you can have a river or channeled brook between the two, all the better.  The civilian fort has no outside access, and there is no reason for anyone to go outside the fort except to cut wood when you can't purchase enough.  When clearing goblin refuse, I have the haulers dump it on a grate and drop it through to an underground passage between the two fortresses.

I like to have the bridge set up so it can be filled with water and collapsed if need be.
Well I've finally found a signature

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 09:01:13 am »

I've wanted to make a fortress like this (ala Minas Tirith), mainly because the underground is so painfully boring at the moment (to the point where I have trouble playing; I'd rather adapt my design as I go than have a giant empty cube).  Unfortunately, without legitimate cliffs, I've become equally frustrated.

Really, any of the LOTR locations make for excellent design inspiration.  Even when they are supposed to be planned cities, they have a lot randomness and outright inefficiency that they become perfect for a megaproject.  I can't wait to gen a world with tons of underground caverns and lava rivers, and start digging out the dwarfhomes from the cave-face.

For extra fun, don't use any uber-defenses.  E.g; stationary bridges, not drawbridges, no traps except in limited quantities for rarely-traversed areas, etc.  It will be great when a siege comes and wipes out the inner layers of the city, and then you have something to rebuild.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 10:16:47 pm »

It would be exciting to pull off. Im trying a new map in which ive started building a town like humans do. I started with a barracks where all my dwarves sleep, and now im working on the carpenters house. I just finsihed the Trade Depot and the food storage (in the basement). Ive got 1 miner, 5 wood cutter/carpenters and 2 growers (both herbalists, above ground crops)
Pages: 1 [2]