Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need some help with my automated trap  (Read 869 times)

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need some help with my automated trap
« on: May 09, 2009, 09:56:51 pm »

For the first time I'm attempting to make a more elaborate trap than the usual array of stone fall and cage traps.

I've opted for a small maze that any goblins/orcs get forced into by raising a bridge spanning a pit in my non-siege entrance. Somewhere along the maze, the attackers are supposed to trigger a pressure plate, which causes the maze to seal up with floodgates (or are doors still impervious to water pressure?), and causes a flood gate holding back water to open up, drowning whoever's trapped in the maze.

Afterwards I have a lever which causes the maze to drain out into a large chamber where I expect the water to evaporate (there is a distinct lack of chasms/pits on this site).

I'm having a little trouble getting all the triggering logic straight, though. Here's a picture of the situation:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The hallway marked 'Water Source' would be filled up with water at all times. When the goblins or orcs trigger the yellow pressure plates, the floodgates at the Entrance and Exit should close, and the floodgate at the water source opens up in order to flood the chambers.

The two hallways encircled in green are signal inverters. (The chairs are parts of a bridge above a channel, which raises to the south; blame the tileset).

If I'm not mistaken (which I might be; it is saturday night and I have had a beer or two), what I need to do is link up the yellow pressure plates to the bridges of the signal inverters as well as the bottom-left floodgate (so it opens up and floods the area).
The pressure plates inside the inverter are water-triggered and will in non-siege situations be flooded with water, sending the ON signal to the floodgates at the entrance and exit, keeping them open for enemies to stumble into the maze.

However: I believe the pressure plates will immediately send the OFF signal when the entity that triggered it steps away from the pressure plate. This would cause the floodgates and bridges to open/close for only a split second, which is not quite enough time to kill even the most water intolerant bug, let alone a big bad orc.

So what I'm wondering:
  • Is there something I'm missing in this design that will cause it to fail no matter what?
  • Do I have to fill my entire maze with pressure plates? As you can see, there are some downward stairs at the bottom-right side of the maze. At the level below, there's another detour for enemies to take, as well as the (lever triggered) water drain. So filling it all up with pressure plates would take ages :(
    • Or is there a simpler solution?

One thing I can imagine is having the pressure plates in the center open up a floodgate, which then lets water onto another pressure plate, which will as such stay triggered and will as such keep sending the ON signal to the floodgates that need it, but I'm hoping there's a faster way (even though that really isn't that complex to make).
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Re: I need some help with my automated trap
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 11:09:15 am »

Use magma instead of water..

cant really help you with this, but i can tell you that you cant have a floodgate that opens attached to a floodgate that closes.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 11:21:27 am »

Eh, I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to keep the 'ON' signal coming to all the doors that need it long enough for rooms to fill up.

The project is on hold for now - as always I *never* get sieged. I've got the Orc mod, I've got goblins enabled, they're both in my general vicinity, but I get zilch, nada, zero enemies by my doorstep.

I did get a Fire Imp in my magma forge area though. That was fun and did some damage. 8)
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:54:19 pm »

The solution to that is make another system that will act as remote control.

The pressure plate should be connected to the hatch.

Code: [Select]
Z-Level 0   ~H~
Z-Level -1  |PX#|

~ Water
H Hatch cover
| Wall
P Pressure plate
X Floodgate
# Draining whatever

P is set for activating when there's water over it. It will open the floodgate in the original maze. At the end of said maze, near your draining hole, place another pressure plate that will activate with water and open the floodgate in this remote system, draining the room, deactivating the first pressure plate, closing the water supply from the mazem then everything resets automatically.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:49:14 pm »

The project is on hold for now - as always I *never* get sieged. I've got the Orc mod, I've got goblins enabled, they're both in my general vicinity, but I get zilch, nada, zero enemies by my doorstep.
Do you have Invaders ON in the init?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 07:18:51 am »

The solution to that is make another system that will act as remote control.

The pressure plate should be connected to the hatch.

Code: [Select]
Z-Level 0   ~H~
Z-Level -1  |PX#|

~ Water
H Hatch cover
| Wall
P Pressure plate
X Floodgate
# Draining whatever

P is set for activating when there's water over it. It will open the floodgate in the original maze. At the end of said maze, near your draining hole, place another pressure plate that will activate with water and open the floodgate in this remote system, draining the room, deactivating the first pressure plate, closing the water supply from the mazem then everything resets automatically.

Ah, that makes sense. :D
I did end up making sort of an inverter-that-doesn't-invert, which I figured would act similarly to a memory cell, but I got tired of all the convoluted logic and gave up due to the whole sieges-not-happening issue.

Thanks!

Do you have Invaders ON in the init?

Hmph, I used to. ::)
Apparently the default for the pack I'm using is NO and I'd fixed it before but forgotten about it. Then I reinstalled it the other day and the setting defaulted back to NO.
I'm quite sure it was set to YES before though, but oh well. We'll see if this fixes things (I'm guessing it will ;))

ButterNBacon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:40:04 pm »

For extra style, here's an idea I had and haven't had time to do - I'm not actually sure it will work, because I haven't really watched how monsters try to path out of water.
Make the maze span some z-levels upward, so the trapped critters have to keep climbing to stay above water. At the top - room full of spikes? Or maybe nothing at all so they finally drown.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:57:20 pm »

For extra style, here's an idea I had and haven't had time to do - I'm not actually sure it will work, because I haven't really watched how monsters try to path out of water.
Make the maze span some z-levels upward, so the trapped critters have to keep climbing to stay above water. At the top - room full of spikes? Or maybe nothing at all so they finally drown.
sounds like fun. they should go up if there's air available on the top level (no roof). if the flooding activates a repeater that controls spikes on the top floor it could be pretty epic. of course, you could just use that on a single floor to get some bloody water for the blood god's temple.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?