Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increase Difficulty  (Read 694 times)

Mr_Quack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increase Difficulty
« on: May 09, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »

After having played this game for a long time I'm finding that I can face near every challenge in Fortress Mode. I'm looking for new ways to increase the difficulty of the game. Megabeast encounters always intrigued me, is there a way to make them occur more often and if I increase their stats how high should I increase them? I find that legendary wrestler/axedwarf/shield user/armor users are easy enough to get and just one of them can take down any megabeast in a single swing. Also any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Increase Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 05:54:57 pm »

Get the Ender Goblin mod. Each one can kick take a dragon on, unarmed, and win
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 07:22:58 pm »

The best ways I know to increase difficulty without making things retarded is to first buff goblins a bit (size 8 maybe, plus [DAMBLOCK:2]) then copy-paste the [ENTITY:EVIL] block in entity_default.txt a few times.  You'll have to rename each copy ([ENTITY:EVIL2] and so forth work fine).  Every different hostile entity type means potentially one more siege each season.  Having 5-10 copies of goblins means you'll have up to 5-10 times as many goblins attacking your fort.

You can also make things harder by reducing the number of friendly civs.  Add [ITEM_THIEF] or [BABYSNATCHER] to humans ([ENTITY:PLAINS]), for example, or disable them entirely by setting [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:0].  Or you could just prevent them from bringing wagons by removing [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] (they'll bring pack animals instead, like dwarves do).

Another thing you can do is double the [GROWDUR:#] entry on all plants (matgloss_plant.txt).  That'll slow down farming.  Removing [EDIBLE_RAW] from plump helmets and some of the different berries might also make the early game a bit tougher.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:55:07 pm »

have you tried difficult embark spots and/or dangerous megaprojects? Things like the one dwarf challenge, glacier challenge or underwatermagma fortresses can really increase the difficulty of the game.

Mr_Quack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:05:49 pm »

Yeah I've tried a few super projects and I've done the hardest natural occuring locations I've seen. Super projects don't really interest me though, usually I end up giving up half-way through them because I lose interest in them. Thanks for the suggestions though guys I'll definitely try them.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:18:05 pm »

By making all the [PROGRESS:] tags in the entity raws set 1 for orcs and goblins, you can make them siege within the first season. Definitely an interesting challenge.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 12:11:40 am »

I currently run the Orc mod and 5 Goblin civs; it seems to be working well.

Grab the Orc mod; odds are they'll make things sufficiently difficult.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 01:04:17 pm »

yea orc mod, or that chosen one mod.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes