Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pre-Engraved Walls?  (Read 459 times)

Cogsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pre-Engraved Walls?
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:36:48 pm »

We all know the biggest problem with constructed walls. They can't be removed by mining. This has nothing to do with ACTUAL subject of this thread (that said walls can't be engraved), but it's true nonetheless.   

Now then, walls are either built of raw material or blocks. Blocks in turn are produced by a mason. Mason's can produce assorted levels of quality on their items.
I think it's reasonable that a block used in construction of a wall would result in a constructed, engraved wall, with the quality of the engraving being less than or equal to the quality of the block(so ideally an artifact block would be a masterwork engraving). It gives blocks a purpose other than just being able to store stone in stockpiles and the occasional well.   

The decrease in quality levels is to represent that the engraver/mason is working with slightly more difficult materials (i.e. a piece of stone that moves when you push too hard) than just a natural wall......

Also has anyone ever wondered about how dwarves don't use tools to engrave?  How must that look?   

*The dwarflings watch Urist McElvesInFetalPositions, having just drunk 4 whole barrels walk up to the wall and observe it, the old master spying out the image hidden within the rock.After ages seemed to pass the oldster cracked his knuckles and rubbed the wall and in a slurred voice said "Right. No one sesh tha' about my mother. I'm going to beat you 'til..." here his eyes took on a far away look. "...'til youz is dwarves and elves. With the elves on fire. And da' dwarves laughing. Just like yesherday before lunch." Then he drew back and slammed his head into the wall, and chips rained down. The older of the dwarflings nodded, seeing a true master at work as Urists head drew back again. One day, he hoped to train under Master Urist....*

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Engraved Walls?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:13:15 pm »

No no, dwarves engrave by glaring at the wall until it forms into an image out of sheer intimidation.

Anyway, I like your idea of engraving blocks to use as walls. However, I think blocks should be engraved separately to them being completed, as a function of the mason's workshop or the craftsdwarf's, or possibly a new engraver's workshop. That way the engraving could reasonably be given the full possible quality (if the block's going to move, just clamp it down, or engrave with it against a wall).
Incidentally, can you encrust blocks with gems/stud them/sew images onto them? That could also be a part of this.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:21:36 pm »

There was discussion earlier about allowing constructed walls to be engraved.

You can currently carve fortifications into these walls, and engraving them is really the same sort of thing.

I'm not sure if engravable walls is scheduled for the next release, or sometime later, but I imagine its a relatively simple fix.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 05:01:14 pm »

Engravable rewalling has been requested many times in the past. The standard suggestion is that blocks can be engraved at the craftdwarf's shop by a stonecrafter or engraver, and when built, the wall looks like an engraved natural wall. This suggestion usually is also accompanied by some way to make artificial walls that look like natural walls (i.e. a solid block of color).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels