Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small improvement to manager options  (Read 767 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Small improvement to manager options
« on: November 01, 2006, 05:37:00 pm »

I think it would be nice to be able to leave specific workshop(s) out of managers job control. This could be accomplished either through workshop profile (Take manager jobs y/n) or somehow through the manager screen.

The reason - if I put in a massive order for rendering fat, I still want to leave at least one of my kitchens to make meals. I use manager screen to make tallow, because just putting render fat on repeat often results in the job being cancelled due to "job item lost or destroyed." This happens even though I have barrels full of fat everywhere.

edit - and I'm sure there would be other uses for a such option as well.

[ November 01, 2006: Message edited by: Majestic7 ]

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small improvement to manager options
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 05:47:00 pm »

I know I'd use it on my magma glass furnaces - I like to put one on gather sand repeatedly, and then produce glass with the other one.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:40:00 pm »

This would be damned useful. Personally, I have the most trouble with this when it comes to the forge.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 06:46:00 pm »

Another good use would be for people who keep non-magma versions of shops around after they have access to magma - if you could prevent the manager from sending jobs to the "burner" shops, it'd make those "emergency backup" shops a lot more viable.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:38:00 am »

It would also be great for preventing the creation of Masterwork Bins of Doom.  Any legendary dwarves could be assigned to a non-managed workshop of their own, where they won't produce items that are ruined or pointless if they are too high quality.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Majestic7:
<STRONG>I use manager screen to make tallow, because just putting render fat on repeat often results in the job being cancelled due to "job item lost or destroyed." This happens even though I have barrels full of fat everywhere.</STRONG>
I think that this is actually the more important part of your post.

What we really need is a more 'persistent' form of repeat-jobs...  one that, if it fails to find something that it needs for the job, will just send it to the back of the queue and try later instead of cancelling it entirely. (Of course, it would have to be smart enough to flip through these 'stalled jobs' without wasting any dwarf-time or resources.)

It would be nice to be able to set up an order that will always clean fish, render fat, or carve bones whenever the necessary item is available, for instance, and would "sleep" the rest of the time without cancelling itself.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 03:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>It would be nice to be able to set up an order that will always clean fish, render fat, or carve bones whenever the necessary item is available, for instance, and would "sleep" the rest of the time without cancelling itself.</STRONG>

BREW DRINKS!  BREW DRINKS!  BREW DRINKS!

Ahem.

It does seem like the functionality exists in the game in some form already, since dog-training jobs never choke even when there are no dogs to train.  When the trainer's out of dogs, s/he goes to do something else for a while, only to return when a puppy matures.  Whatever code makes that possible should be applied to all kinds of other things:  "No barrels?  Okay, I'll find something else to do until a barrel turns up."

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

teres_draconis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »

Several things....

1) Tasks within a workshop are (r)epeatable. When the task is complete, it will be moved to the bottom of that workshops que even before the next task from the manager can be qued.

2) I don't want to exclude a workshop from the manager, I want to define what sublist of tasks that workshop will accept from the manager.

If I tell the manager to make 300 bone crafts, 100 totems, 200 wood crafts, and 300 stone crafts, the workshop dedicated to my bone carver gets only bone and totem orders, the stone crafter's shop gets only stone orders, and the undedicated ones get whatever the que shows as needing to be done next.

I can't just load up the bonecarvers shop with (r)epeated "make bone crafts" and "make totem"s, because if s/he runs out of bones, they will cancel the task.

And yes, I've had the animal trainer cancel a dog training task because all of my untrained dogs were still puppies. If you haven't, I envy your luck.

BTW, (r)epeating a "tame mountain goat" task ends up with the animal trainer attempting to tame the same goat over and over, instead of moving on to the next untamed one. Strange that.

(I use repeat to deal with "I want roughly the same number of wooden barrels, bins and beds made, but only half that number of buckets" alot. There end up being 7 tasks with the repeat indicator in the workshops task list, and still three slots for stuff from the manager. I did once forget to check in for a few years, and ended up with some 400 beds, but hey, whatever.)

Also, (r)epeated items do not count towards manager orders. The workshop won't stop putting "make wooden bucket" at the bottom of it's list simply because you only asked your manager for 30 of them. Your manager will still want 30 made, and the repeated task will keep repeating until you don't have any materials left or until there is no one to make them... or, you know, you take it off.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 05:27:50 am »

- Gather sand shouldn't be a workshop at all, but rather something for general orders and/or the manager. Or as an option to keep a sand stockpile filled.

- As soon as we have flexible workshops, we'll need to specify which tasks and/or skills are(n't) allowed there anyway. We would start with with one room in which all tasks and skills are allowed, containing all kinds of furniture, most of which is shared by the jobs. We could split off specialized workshops as we go.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.