Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worker "squads" and schedules  (Read 925 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Worker "squads" and schedules
« on: September 08, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »

One thing that i hate about the current version is that there is no way of organizing workers en-masse and some options like job preferences have no shortcuts. To get around that it would be handy to put workers in groups and give orders to them as a whole:

For example, lets say i have 6 miners at my fortress. I select them and make them a team. While in the team, any job preference changes or orders are given to the entire party of workers.

So say i had them mining out a room, i turn off hauling  (which would have a single hotkey). They focus on the job until it is done, i then disable mining and turn hauling back on again. Disabling a skill means they have it enabled but they forgo working for a length of time you set, if i turned mining off entirely then every miner would immediatly drop his pick.

Now that alone would help with hauling stuff around the fortress. Say your growers were not busy, i could turn on hauling and disable growing for 30 mins. They help clean up the stockpiles then go back to work. It would also be interesting to have more varied orders. What this means is that you could control things such as when certain parties of workers have break time or lunch.

If the expandable workshops thing went in, this would be needed. Instead of a workshop big enough for 10, you have 10 dwarves working at the same time in the same workshop. If your control was limited to invididual workers you would not be able to control what is going on inside the workshop very well.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worker "squads" and schedules
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

I think this would be good if you could organise workers into squads the same way you organise the Military into squads. This squad could all work together, eat together, sleep together and go on break together. Also, it'd mean more random names   :D

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

"Oshit Itsadragonrun"-Bricklayers

Doing both worker teams and military squads would make sense seeing as we need the options for both types.

The military version would be a bit more complicated though, with the addition of patrol routes, and possibly stuff like formation fighting.

[ September 08, 2007: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bricktop:
<STRONG>I think this would be good if you could organise workers into squads the same way you organise the Military into squads. This squad could all work together, eat together, sleep together and go on break together. Also, it'd mean more random names    :D</STRONG>

Some kind of labour groups is propably the no. 1 in my "Features I want to see in DF some day"- list. The way you describe the group sounds awesome. And now that the dwarves will have all kinds of different personalities, choosing the leader for the groups could effect the outcome.

If you make a leader from someone who can handle stress, likes to do long(er than usual) work days and doesn't pity others easily, more work gets done, but the other dwarves might not be as happy about it as you are.

But if you choose someone who likes to hang around at parties or makes compromises easily, the whole group will be happier, but some work might take longer to get done.

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

quote:
This squad could all work together, eat together, sleep together and go on break together.

That's quite the opposite of what I'd like them to do... What I'd like is to be able to select a few dwarves, assign them all to a specific workshop and make sure that the workshop is working 100% all the time. When one of them sleep/work/go on break/whatever, there would be at least one other of them who is able to come to work in the downtime. Maybe even be able to assign a specific stockpile to the workshop, so if a bunch of them get available to the workshop at the same time then at least the others will have something to do, hauling stuff the working dwarf need and thus reducing work time again.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

That could be put in, we just need to make more complex controls. Overall control is good, but if you want to control every single little detail you should be able to.

In the DF screen it would be handy if it was layed out like a spreadsheet, you could divide up the day cycle into half-hour blocks and assign different duties and activities.

That way you can stagger mealtimes, rotate patrols and stuff.

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

Perhaps there could be another noble(BLASPHEMY!)? The union organizer(?) who enables you to make work groups and can let you set up a work schedule, if the schedule is to harsh and the workers start complaining he/she will make a mandate to lower the work period. if the mandate isnt met he/she takes money(or goods?) and gives it to the workers or keeps it for him/her self(affected by his/her personalty).
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 05:40:00 am »

quote:
What I'd like is to be able to select a few dwarves, assign them all to a specific workshop and make sure that the workshop is working 100% all the time. When one of them sleep/work/go on break/whatever, there would be at least one other of them who is able to come to work in the downtime.

I'm not sure how hard this would be for Toady to do but maybe there could be a toggleable option for whther or not they all eat/drink/break at the same time etc etc Now you mention it I would like to have workers working together to keep a workshop going 100% of the time but with things like Miners I would rather have them keeping in one group.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

Mining is something completely different though, and I think the current job list is way enough for jobs like farming and mining and other similar jobs. It's not really the same situation than when you have a workshop somewhere in a fixed position, which you can plan to have near your dining room, your living quarters, etc and then you just want it to be as efficient as it can dwarfly be...
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zulaf:
<STRONG>Perhaps there could be another noble(BLASPHEMY!)? The union organizer(?) who enables you to make work groups and can let you set up a work schedule, if the schedule is to harsh and the workers start complaining he/she will make a mandate to lower the work period. if the mandate isnt met he/she takes money(or goods?) and gives it to the workers or keeps it for him/her self(affected by his/her personalty).</STRONG>

That was something i suggested a while ago, the original idea was an immigrated noble, but now you designate them by hand. The union leader would be the guy who organizes the work done for workers of that type. Other things would include:
1. Making sure that class of worker has enough to do, and gets paid a fair salary.
2. Working conditions and safety.
3. Housing conditions.
And so on. It make sense that you would lack detailed control until you elected someone into this sort of job.