Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Option for top-level scrolling speed  (Read 850 times)

Hidden Asbestos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Option for top-level scrolling speed
« on: October 23, 2006, 08:33:00 am »

Hi, I have a very simple suggestion, apologies if it has been mentioned before or is planned to be added. I did a search and found only suggestions relating to the single unit step size being too small. My suggestion is the exact opposite of that:

Can you provide an option to adjust the step size of the scrolling on the main view?

The current default moves the view by too large an amount for me and I actually find it quite disorienting, as there isn't enough context in the new view to match with where you were before.

I realise this must seem like a really trivial thing and is probably not something that bothers every player, but I feel it would really make the game a little less disorienting when navigating around such an (initially) bewildering array of information.

Anyway, that's my suggestion.

Other than that, I love the game - keep up the good work!

[ October 23, 2006: Message edited by: Hidden Asbestos ]

[ October 23, 2006: Message edited by: Hidden Asbestos ]

DimmurWyrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Option for top-level scrolling speed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 02:41:00 pm »

I can agree with this idea... I often want to count how many peon rooms I have and when it jumps like that I can lose track of which one I counted last unless there's a landmark like an unmined ore/gem nearbye hehe.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »

On the subject, a faster movement speed would be nice as well so you could get from the outside river area to the magma river area and not have it take forever.

Sidenote: You can look in the master room list to find bedrooms and their qualities.

[ October 23, 2006: Message edited by: Seryntas ]

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

DimmurWyrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 07:34:00 pm »

that's good to know (room list) doesn't help me count the number of "planned" rooms tho  ;)

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:07:00 pm »

You can work around this by periodically exporting a BMP to use as a "map".  This also lets you see a larger chunk of your fortress at once, to get a sense of the big picture.

Hidden Asbestos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 04:08:00 am »

One extra part to my suggestion would be to have independent X and Y movement speeds - the aspect ratio of the window (especially in full-sceen) makes the scrolling movement more pronounced when moving up and down.

I guess the perfect solution would be some kind of acceleration in the scrolling - but I don't want to ask for too much, just a quick pair of options in the init.txt file.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:42:00 am »

How about making bookmarks, like Ctrl-F1 to set and F1 to return.  I think Warcraft has something like that.

Hidden Asbestos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:48:00 am »

I think that's a great idea - especially useful if you have a lake, river, etc.  that's quite far away from the fortress but is regularly attended by fisherdwarfs.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »

Personally I think what would be ideal would be two independent settings set from the config file.

One of these settings would determine the step size when not holding shift, the other would determine the shift size when holding shift.

This would both let players pick how fast they want to scroll, and also not be entirely nailed into one choice.

(Or four, possibly, since some have mentioned the x/y factor, ie stepx, stepy, s_stepx, s_stepy)

For myself, most of the time I would probably want to jump a screen at the time most of the time, but then there are times I admit when I would want to have my shift setting only jump the screen 1 or 2 hexes.

Another sugguestion, related but slightly off topic, would be to add similar settings for while you're in designation mode especially (and any cursor oriented mode), it would be nice to be able to hold shift and jump several hexes at once.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

I'd really like a bookmark at the magma.  I've got major metalworking going on that I'm always fidgeting with.

Number keys for bookmarks would be great.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »

I'd enjoy the bookmarks as well.
Zip! Control Room.
Zip! Front Gates.
Zip! Current mining area. etc etc.

Perhaps we have to build a physical "Guard Post" so Toady has something to latch to and cycle through.