Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vault doors,crossbow traps and more..  (Read 1348 times)

NotQuiteSure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vault doors,crossbow traps and more..
« on: October 21, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »

Ok,so I have been trying to build some nice defenses for my fortress and those ideas occured to me:

Vault doors would be basically heavier doors(possibly made from more rocks) that could withstand more damage and be only opened/closed by a lever-think floodgate without the cannel part...

What about being able to set the crossbow traps to fire down the corridor when some monster steps on a plate or a lever is pulled? It would be useful for fortifications for example:Instead of sending your marksdwarves to the front line,you simply pull a lever and attacking army gets a nice welcome message-a hail of arrows.

It seems like you cant have one thing be set from a to be and other thing set from b to a by pulling just one lever-For example,I want a floodgate to close and a bridge to draw at once-but I can only make then open and draw.

Also a suggestion that doesn't apply to defense-The dwarves should be able to use stone blocks as rocks.That way,you would be able to have a good pile of rocks nearby without having to dig humongous caverns..

That would be pretty much all for now,If you think something doesn'T make any sense,it does..just not in English

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vault doors,crossbow traps and more..
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 07:55:00 pm »

Can't you attach the lever to only one of those objects, toggle its state, then attach the lever to the other object?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 07:56:00 pm »

No, any time you flip a lever it sets all its objects to the same state. If you hook a lever up to an open floodgate and a closed floodgate and pull it, it will just set them both open, then next time it sets them both closed, etc.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:59:00 pm »

I would happily build a door out of steel if it meant I could protect a room from thieves.

Also, love the crossbow trap idea.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 03:10:00 am »

I suggested more detailed mechanism-link mechanics a while back: here.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 03:13:00 am »

Gates (heavier doors, basically) are planned.

I personally would like to be able to connect a pressure plate to a ballista or catapult, such that stepping on the pressure plate sends a ballista bolt or catapult rock aimed square at the tile containing the pressure plate. Since the exact range and such would be known, accuracy would be 100% - making them very lethal, but space consuming traps. They'd also have to be manually reloaded, which takes forever until you get skilled operators.

I'd also love to see a classic Indiana Jones rolling boulder trap.