Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [REQUEST] Item value fix?  (Read 870 times)

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[REQUEST] Item value fix?
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:19:55 pm »

So here I am, playing DF with my lovely fortress, Hateplanked. I've pretty much stopped producing anything of value that doesn't fit in a bedroom, office, dining room, or wherever--there's no point in producing crafts. Mainly because all I trade away is the clothing from the dead goblins that volunteer (with gusto!) as target practice for my dorfs.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking for a challenge: I want things to be worth a LOT less. I googled the site, I used the search function. Nada. Nothing. But... I was curious... does anyone know if such a mod exists? (I realize that some of the main fixes would be in the formulae used to determine the worth of an item, which would be rather impossible.) Not having modded anything ever, I could try a hand had I free the time and wherewithal to make it happen, I'd rather receive either just a direct link to or simple advice to make it happen.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: [REQUEST] Item value fix?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:12 pm »

there are a few mods that go the opposite route and remove clothing from the invaders, leaving them only their armor.

If you want, the value of the metal in said armor can also be reduced, which would have the unfortunate effect of allowing you to BUY similar armor at a bargain from caravans (not to mention anything else made out of goblinite)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »

There's a few things you can do.

The first, and the one I use, is to remove all non-armor clothing from the game. It doesn't come with the enemy, you can't sell it. To do this, go into entity_default and remove all of the HELM, SHOES, PANTS, GLOVES, and ARMOR tags except for the ones involving leggings, greaves, platemail, chainmail, leather armor, high boots and low boots (just BOOTS and BOOTS_LOW), helmets, caps, and gauntlets. Then, go into the various item files and delete the now-irrelevant entries.

Another thing you might try is reducing clothing's value modifier. In the various item_x files, there are lines reading [VALUE:y]. Cut the y number by a bunch and all clothes of that type will be drastically reduced. For instance, reduce the [VALUE:15] of socks to 5, and suddenly all of those GCS silk socks the goblins bring will be worth only 1/3 as much. Set value to 0 for all clothing, and they'll be totally worthless (though IRC the traders will still give you 1g for them).

Or, for probably the greatest challenge and the most extreme measure, reduce the actual value modifier of everything. Cut the [MODVALUE:z] of all creatures by half or more, reduce the [VALUE] line in all metals and stones by a significant amount, and just in general cheapen everything. Then, everything will be cheaper. The problem with this is that it makes caravan stuff cheaper, too, but since your fortress wealth's growth will be severely retarded you have other things to worry about ;)

All in all, though, I'd suggest just removing clothing from the game and just pretending that everyday wear is abstracted out. Relatively quick, easy, and not too damaging.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:51:52 pm »

Yeah... I shouldn't thought that reducing the value of something will reduce the value across the board. Not bad suggestions--thank you!

On a side note, is there just a way to limit the material of clothing the goblins wear? Or will it ALWAYS be cave spider silk?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:03:45 pm »

Yeah... I shouldn't thought that reducing the value of something will reduce the value across the board. Not bad suggestions--thank you!

On a side note, is there just a way to limit the material of clothing the goblins wear? Or will it ALWAYS be cave spider silk?
I may be incorrect on this, but I believe that the goblin entity's [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] tag makes them use silks. Now, clothes can be made out of silk, plant fiber cloth, or leather, and goblins don't use plant products. So, if you remove that tag, all of their clothes should be leather. That might not be what matters, though, so it might not work.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!