Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HFS Discussion  (Read 1222 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Re: HFS Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 09:46:52 pm »

Pfft. Don't be such an elf. If magma won't come to you, you just set up an entirely new area to deal with magmaforges and the associated dwarves.

No ... if the magma won't come to me I damn well MAKE it come to me. I'm not settling for a 200 square walk to the forge when most of my dwarves will go on break before they get there.

Despite my asking every year for more bauxite, my liason has been very stingy. I've only got about six pieces, so it's gonna take a while to move it. And I'd really rather not use my precious adamantine on making mechanisms. I want to see how far I can knock a goblin with mastercrafted adamantine hammer wielded by a superdwarvenly strong champion.

EDIT: Can you manually pump magma? Or will that just make dwarven torches?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:51:10 pm by milaga »
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 10:03:08 pm »

you can manually pump magma just fine.  you can even use wooden pumps.

you can even use axels to power your wooden magma pumps, as long as the connecting points are protected and the magma cant flow back and melt your mechanisms.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 07:11:38 am »

you can even use wooden pumps.
Only if you have temperature turned off. You can use any kind of stone for the block, however, and any kind of metal or glass for the pipe section. (Glass pipe sections (aka tubes) use one bag of sand and metal pipe sections use three bars of metal.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 09:39:57 am »

Hmm... I'm actually tempted to build a glass smelter for the first time ever. It may be to do with the fact that I finally have sand (lots of it) and loads of trees in safe-to-cut areas.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 11:09:21 am »

you can even use wooden pumps.
Only if you have temperature turned off. You can use any kind of stone for the block, however, and any kind of metal or glass for the pipe section. (Glass pipe sections (aka tubes) use one bag of sand and metal pipe sections use three bars of metal.)

I was under the impression that you could use wood, but it would just degrade very fast.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 11:38:16 am »

Any pump that breaks is going to cause magma to pile up in front of it, which will possibly ignite the previous pump in the chain and definitely cause magma to overflow onto the floor where the pump used to be.

Wooden pumps can either function for a little while or break almost instantly. No point risking it even if you don't have sand.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 01:35:16 pm »

I think I've got about 180 tetrahydrite even without finishing out any of my discovered veins. So I'll probably make all the pump stuff out of copper.

I'll have to turn temperature on for my next foray into magma, but I'll probably need to lower the pop cap. Especially if I get some HFS because those SOFs sound especially fun.

Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".
Pages: 1 [2]