Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magma Moats  (Read 1320 times)

TinReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Moats
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:13:39 pm »

This one time with my lava moat when the human caravan crossed it... the coal it was carrying spontaniously combusted!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 11:34:08 am »

The only time I have ever had an issue with the lava in my lava moat hardening was when I had a moat which partially intersected a murky pool.  The level of the lava in the moat was a few Z-levels below the pool, so the lava didn't fill the pool.  When it rained water would gather in the pool, then spill into the lava and harden it.  This was corrected by completely channeling out the murky pool tiles, which prevented water from being generated there during a rainstorm.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 01:54:26 pm »

Oh man that was clever. I wish you were right next to me, so I COULD TELL YOU HOW GODDAMN CLEVER THAT WAS.

And I wish people could make a post on these boards without thinking that they have the only valid point of view, or that anyone else cares what that is.  But wishing rarely changes things.  Anyway...

Op - No one "warned" you about those additional points because there's nothing to warn about.  Magma does not "cool" once it's away from the vent. One tile of it, isolated and outdoors, stays hot, molten and dangerous forever.*

(* Some glacier maps are extremely cold in the winter - maybe there.  Maybe.)

Rain does nothing to magma - this has been tested, again and again, on every map with outdoor magma, many times every game year - every time it rains.

You only need to use bauxite for mechanisms that operate the magma-end of doors or floodgates, not for pumps or the doors themselves.  Read up on "bauxite", and "magma safe" material in the wiki.

Shok - Most have walls near their moats, but who knows what he's thinking for the final layout? It's a valid warning.

Op - Dwarfs that fight dodge around at random - if they're near a ledge to something, they have a tendency to fall in.  Something to avoid.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:55:59 pm by Albedo »

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:46 pm »

Oh man that was clever. I wish you were right next to me, so I COULD TELL YOU HOW GODDAMN CLEVER THAT WAS.

And I wish people could make a post on these boards without thinking that they have the only valid point of view, or that anyone else cares what that is.  But wishing rarely changes things.  Anyway...

I wish that people could make a post on these boards without assuming that a person thinks he has the only valid point of view, and that the person thinks people care about it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 10:43:52 am »

I wish that people could make a post on these boards without assuming that a person thinks he has the only valid point of view, and that the person thinks people care about it.

I wish you two would stop confusing me.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 02:15:50 am »

Dude. Seriously. Shut up. It's a DF thread. And for some reason you're treating it like you have to adopt an offensive standpoint and defend it vigorously for no real reason at all. Just calm down.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 03:49:05 pm »

Dude. Seriously. Shut up. It's a DF thread. And for some reason you're treating it like you have to adopt an offensive standpoint and defend it vigorously for no real reason at all. Just calm down.

NO!
Pages: 1 [2]