Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoilers- Question about "Hidden Fun Stuff"  (Read 920 times)

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spoilers- Question about "Hidden Fun Stuff"
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:53:14 pm »

I managed to run into a vein of adamantine very early in a game; the first caravan just left, and my population is still only 7 kind of early. So I really, really doubt that I'd be able to survive a demon attack.  Anyway, the top of the adamantine vein is on level z-143, and ground level is z-149. I'd like to mine the stuff, but I'm worried that I'll run into a demon pit. About how deep would I have to go before I run smack into hell?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Spoilers- Question about "Hidden Fun Stuff"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:15:06 pm »

Good job spoilering it! :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:27:44 pm »

Good job spoilering it! :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks. I guess I'll have to find a new location for the bedrooms.

Are you saying I should have tagged my entire post along with the warning in the title? I don't have time for that; the cats are killing my framerate. Fertile little stinkers.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:09:22 pm »

Nah, I was thanking you for being considerate to others. :)

looking back on my post, I'm assuming by "ground level" you mean the bottom-most z-level, correct?
If not, I take back what I said. haha
Oh and, if you want your cats to stop acting like rabbits, try removing the CHILD tag from them. :D

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:15:01 pm »

Anyway, if you don't want to run into demons don't mine anywhere near that bastard. Sometimes the pits are very tall and only nearby where you discover the adamantine. Sometimes, I think, they can be as small as a single z level...I THINK. I've never had such luck.

Or just figure out exactly where the pit is and savescum. If you're THAT type of dwarf.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:18:39 pm »

Nah, I was thanking you for being considerate to others. :)

looking back on my post, I'm assuming by "ground level" you mean the bottom-most z-level, correct?
If not, I take back what I said. haha
Oh and, if you want your cats to stop acting like rabbits, try removing the CHILD tag from them. :D
149 is the level my dwarves started on. I tend to call that "ground level" and measure from there. Anyway, I think the lowest level I can drop to is in the 130-133 range. Top-most level is somewhere between 150-154.

@kinseti: I'm playing on a 3x3 embark zone to reduce lag, and half of the map is taken up by a large magma pipe. I've got nowhere to go!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:20:53 pm by soupcan »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:52:19 pm »

Well, it's quite unlikely the pit goes up more than 10 Z levels. That said, HFS pit position and size seem to be highly randomized to prevent players from going "well, if the adamantine vein starts there, then the pit must be..."

Unless you're super attached to your fortress (since you're a year in I assume not), just go for it and learn the fun way.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 11:05:17 pm »

You could also dig out the bottom-most level until you find the pit, and hope you can make a wall fast enough. :P

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 11:06:34 pm »

If you're willing to mine much more slowly you could smooth a row of walls then carve fortifications out of them then mine it away. Once you have two z levels of that done you'll have a pretty good idea of where the veins are on the next level and won't have to mine out quite as much.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.