Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scrolling through Partial Canidates.  (Read 834 times)

chaos985

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scrolling through Partial Canidates.
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:16:33 am »

The Find a region options kinda suck right now.
maybe im missing something, but is there a better way to search for a location, i only ever get one partial candidate.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:21:01 am by chaos985 »

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Scrolling through Partial Canidates.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:33:01 am »

Try mixing your options up a bit, that way you can look at different locations.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:34:55 am »

Like he said. But there's no current way to scroll through candidates that meet the requirements or even through partial candidates at the moment.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:22:56 am »

If you find one that meets the listed criteria but not "yours" (like the wrong stone layers, whatever), just <e>mbark, "Play Now", and abandon your fortress.   Then find again with same parameters.

Takes a minute, but that will take that location out of the possibilities, and the function will move on the next location that meets all the criteria.

chaos985

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 03:16:45 am »

If you find one that meets the listed criteria but not "yours" (like the wrong stone layers, whatever), just <e>mbark, "Play Now", and abandon your fortress.   Then find again with same parameters.

Takes a minute, but that will take that location out of the possibilities, and the function will move on the next location that meets all the criteria.

The problem i have is that i want one magma source, and one water source.

i dont care if its river/pool/pipe, as long as they are there.  It may however decide to find me somehting with three water features, and no magma features.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 04:01:14 am »

Are those your only requirements? It would probably be a lot quicker than the finder to search for places with igneous extrusive stone, i.e., obsidian, basalt, felsite, and rhyolite, and then search for water features nearby.

I say igneous extrusive because those are the only types of stone that contain magma pipes and pools.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:31:13 am »

i dont care if its river/pool/pipe, as long as they are there.  It may however decide to find me somehting with three water features, and no magma features.

Not if you're using it right.   If you ask for a magma pipe or a magma pool, it will give you that much at least, unless it's a "partial candidate".

So, 1 magma, 1 water? Ok, start with "magma pipe" and either "river" or "underground pool" - the latter will allow you to create an underground towercap farm, and also provide a little more... "fun"...).  Chances are, you'll get something else in that area as well - maps are full of features.  Tough it out, ignore them, or, as I said, do a quick embark/abandon, and try again.

Alternately, once the <f>inder does it's job, use the h/k/u/m keys (and capital versions) and relocate/resize your embark site to suit.  Too much water? Shift over a little - etc.

Unless you're more picky than you describe, you should find what you're looking for quickly enough.

koofle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 05:55:53 am »

Wouldn't the easiest way be to change the init file in (DF folder)/data/init/ ?
(aka set the "show_embark_(features):" to "always" )

I can spend ages just scrolling around the embark location map.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 11:07:00 am »

have you tried a volcano island? ocean salt water, sandy beach, magma to the surface... very fun :)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »

set it to find a river and a magma pipe (and nothing else).  this will almost always get an exact match.

when you use the finder and check several things, it tries to find a single site with ALL of those features. so if you check river/underground river/pool/magma pipe/magma pool, it's tryin to find a site with all five of those things, and so you end up with 'partial matches' that are nothing like what you're really looking for

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 06:59:50 pm »

I wish there were a way to "weight" my preferences.  If I'm looking for a site that contains an underground pool, a magma pipe, flux stone and a chasm...  the finder invariably assumes that magma is the least useful option, and will find a site that contains everything EXCEPT that (even if it has previously found a site WITH magma but missing other criteria)

It would be great to be able to assign one Priority-1 choice, two priority-2 choices, and a number of priority-3 options.  The finder could then look for all site containing the pri-1 choice, and discard all other sites, then re-sort the culled list for both Pri-2 options and discard any site that doesn't match at least one, THEN check for Pri-3 criteria.  If it hits on P1, both P2 and all P3, it returns the site as an exact match.  If it hits P1, both P2, and some P3, it returns a "near" match.  If it has P1 but only one P2 choice it returns a "partial" match (or possibly a short list of them).   It would definitely increase the amount of work being done by the processor for a search, but personally I would LOVE the increased precision.