Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Safe training  (Read 654 times)

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Safe training
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:29:16 pm »

I don't like micro-managing my military, as they almost never get used. As a result, I would like to know the best (IE. Safest) weapons to use for training purposes.

From what I can see, Wrestling (Remove weapons), and Hammerdwarf/Macedwarf (Break bones / Punt enemies away) are 'safe' to train with, even with Iron/Steel weapons on Steel armor, and Spears (Pierce organs, like hearts, lungs, and spleens) and Axes (Lop off heads, cut necks, remove limbs) are NOT 'safe' to train with, unless I micro manage them to use wooden spears / copper axes

Am I right? And would an army of pure Hammerdwarfs / XBows with a few Wrestlers be a good defence, or are either Speardwarves or Axedwarfs superior in combat to Hammerdwarves / Macedwarves?

I tried a small axedwarf contingent. It didn't go down well. (of 5, one lost an arm, and dehydrated during a trading mission, when no dwarves gave him water, 2 suffocated, 1 lost a limb and died from bleeding, and the final one survived the training, became an Axedwarf, was assigned to the Royal Guard, and had a mood, and demanded Turtle shell, which had mysteriously all disappeared (probably rotted on the surface), and was struck with melacholy)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safe training
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:47:42 pm »

Just train them up in wrestling first, and make sure they have shields and armour. Training injuries will be minor at best.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:03:24 pm »

I would like to know the best (IE. Safest) weapons to use for training purposes.

Crossbows
 ;D
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:29:11 pm »

If you have them become legendary pump operators before drafting them they're almost idiot proof when training.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:16 am »

Just train them up in wrestling first, and make sure they have shields and armour. Training injuries will be minor at best.
Because this is not enough answer, I'll expand. Wrestling is useful as early training because a) it's cheap and easy to train, given that it does not require weapons, b) it's quick to train, getting legendary champions in a year or so, and c) high wrestling leads to improved chance to dodge and avoid injuries, which combines with the attribute gains to reduce the impact of injuries. My current training regimen is to train all dwarves up to at least wrestler, at which point the marksdwarves bow out, and melee dwarves continue at least to elite wrestlers, where the newer squads get their weapons. For my first champions I did train them all to legendary wrestling, but for the newbies I can afford to skimp on that part of their training.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:43:22 am »

...Hammerdwarf/Macedwarf (Break bones / Punt enemies away) are 'safe' to train with, even with Iron/Steel weapons on Steel armor...

Not necessarily - even with full armor, an unlucky hit can inflict light grey damage to the spine, neck, or brain, permanently depriving your soldier of the ability to spar.

Armor quality does seem to have a very significant effect, though - on several occasions, I've trained hammerdwarves wielding exceptional Adamantine war hammers all the way from Dabbling to Legendary without any sparring injuries because I had also given them exceptional/masterwork Adamantine plate armor and shields. Training them using low quality iron weapons and armor, though, resulted in nearly all of them getting minor nervous system damage.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:02:10 am »

high wrestling leads to improved chance to dodge and avoid injuries
Yes, but will their opponents get any weapon experience from missed shots?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:04:43 am »

high wrestling leads to improved chance to dodge and avoid injuries
Yes, but will their opponents get any weapon experience from missed shots?

It should prove negligible, given that your dwarf will proceed to kill said opponent with his weapon-wielding skills and high stats courtesy of cross-training.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod