Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress wealth and industry  (Read 604 times)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress wealth and industry
« on: May 02, 2009, 07:52:31 am »

I've run a few forts now and tried various different industries. I've noticed a lot of people talking about item value and item quality around the forums and I want to know if there's any point I'm missing? As far as I can see, valuable items just keep the dwarves happy and allow you to get what you want from the caravans, but I've been able to trade for what I want and keep my dwarves happy through just selling rock crafts and goblin clothes.

So is there any reason I'd need to set up say a clothing industry? Are there any additional benefits to increased fortress wealth that I'm not aware of?

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress wealth and industry
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 08:06:32 am »

Every single item has cost.Everything that has cost increases wealth since you can sell it.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

clothing industry is great for bags and ropes. bags have many uses, including food stockpiles.

in an older version, dwarves had unhappy thoughts if they didnt get 'new' clothes, but this was removed. they kept wearing the old ragged stuff underneath. now we just get naked dwarves. *shrug*

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 11:01:34 am »

So the only real reason to set up an industry focusing on producing high value and high quality goods is for aesthetic reasons or personal satisfaction? There's no like sudden prize if you have a very wealthy fortress or something?

Actually, on that topic, do you get stronger sieges and the like if you have a particularly wealthy fortress? Because the only 'siege' I've undergone has been a group of about 8 goblins, one of whom stepped in a weapon trap and the rest ran away.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:29:05 am »

If you wanted huge and difficult sieges to turn up when you get a very wealthy fortress then you could add the orc mod and replace the following lines in entity_orc.txt:
Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]

with
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:5]I don't know what removing these tags does so I set it to five to basically stop population from being the trigger for sieges.
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:4]Now you need to be fairly wealthy before they turn up, could be set to 5 if you like but no higher.
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:5]Set this lower if you want it to be traded goods that cause them to siege.

Now you'd have orcs that turn up when you get rich, they usually turn up much faster. Certain industries still remain fairly useless though as you can increase your wealth however you want.

The clothing industry can be a life saver on really cold maps if you insist on letting your dwarves go outside.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 07:15:29 pm »

So the only real reason to set up an industry focusing on producing high value and high quality goods is for aesthetic reasons or personal satisfaction? There's no like sudden prize if you have a very wealthy fortress or something?

Fortress wealth contributes to one of the "endgame" goals: turning your fortress into a Mountainhome with the arrival of The King.  It also helps with any goals you might set for yourself, because being able to buy out a caravan with two or three stacks of masterwork goods means you can donate stacks of valuable stuff to the Dwarven caravan, which demonstrates your wealth to them and gets you more migrants.  More slave labor = faster execution of your devious master plan.  And lastly, you do get larger goblin sieges, but goblins are pansies; the larger sieges are basically just an easy way to stock up on meltable iron, which helps you get a steel armor industry established.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:00:32 pm »

Much, perhaps all of DF boils down to that - personal aesthetics and satisfaction.  Up to a point, you're trying to keep your dwarfs happy so the whole place won't spiral into destruction, but after that it's all just flash.  No one undertakes a mega-project except for themselves, no one has an over-kill dining-hall lined with masterwork aluminum and platinum statues except to say they did it.

Total value adds to immigration, and kings and such, and then the nobility have their own high-end demands.  But there is no "win" point, no easter eggs, no prize.  No "win".

Until, as someone pointed out, your fortress blasts off for the moon.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:12:23 pm »

The clothing industry is what's driving my fortress now. I have just a few dwarfs running it, and they got to high skills very fast.
My farmers are churning out more pigtails and dyes than I can store. Threads, fabrics and clothes are being made super fast at top quality, and almost everything gets dyed and has images sewn.
This gives me a whole lot of trade value, also for offerings to the traders just to making space in my depot.
It think that keeping all the involved workshops and stockpiles close together has made the whole system super efficient.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:35:59 pm »

I tried to get my last fort to 100,000,000☼ total created wealth.  I ran most industries nonstop, had legendaries making masterpieces all day and night, had armies of haulers putting things in bins.

I got to around 63,000,000☼ before I decided the fort was unplayable due to lag.  6 FPS dropping to 4 at times.

I destroyed all the finished goods and most of the raw materials, around 90,000 items.  It dropped my total wealth by three quarters, but the FPS went up to 30-35.

Now I intend to make just enough goods to offer each caravan 20,000☼ or so.  The hell with wealth, I'm happier without it.