Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Swine Flu  (Read 2666 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Swine Flu
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 12:21:11 am »

They were considered, and put in the definitely put off for this version category. Looks like they'll use all the same tags for their effects as poisons though.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 12:24:16 am »

Aww...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 12:25:47 am »

The key to Swine Flu, Bird Flu, and SARS is not that they are deadly but that they have the potential to be (Well ok... not in SARS case)

Also statistically speaking I believe there is an epidemic or Pandemic once every 10 years... so they are rather common

The key here is that the media earns money off overblowing everything and people naturally overblow these things to begin with. Hopefully it won't get to SARS level Paranoia where even sane people were wearing masks.

Ps. most illnesses enter your body through your EYEBALLS! Not your mouth.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 12:29:50 am »

The key to Swine Flu, Bird Flu, and SARS is not that they are deadly but that they have the potential to be (Well ok... not in SARS case)

Also statistically speaking I believe there is an epidemic or Pandemic once every 10 years... so they are rather common

The key here is that the media earns money off overblowing everything and people naturally overblow these things to begin with. Hopefully it won't get to SARS level Paranoia where even sane people were wearing masks.

Ps. most illnesses enter your body through your EYEBALLS! Not your mouth.

Yeah, those masks are near useless in preventing yourself from getting infected, they're for sick people to wear to keep from infecting other people. Stupid blighters.

There are warthogs in vanilla DF, so it's not completely accurate to say that there are no pigs in df. Though the distinct lack of wild boar is keenly felt. (Read a bit of Asterix and Obelix as a kid.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:32:34 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2009, 12:50:54 am »

Well, there's groundhogs, but they're not hogs, they're just... Ground... Stuff.

Regarding the actual pandemic, its nothing really, i doubt it can even kill 0,1% of the earth's population. Plus, i prefer a much more flashy ending for the world, something along the lines of Fallout.

DF wise, there's nothing that can't be cured by a copious ammounts of magma, or a atom-smashing drawbridge, or both!

Throw the infected in pit with a bauxite drawbridge, fill it with magma and smash their burning atoms to oblivion.

EDIT: http://bouncewith.me.uk/europe/8027043.htm

I lol'd.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:23:38 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2009, 01:37:43 am »

i doubt it can even kill 0,1% of the earth's population

Hmm .1% of the earth's population? Hmm it is seemingly less deadly then the normal flu.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2009, 01:42:08 am »

I doubt the normal flu can kill 6.500.000~ people a year.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009, 02:05:31 am »

Swine flu is serious though. In WW1 there was an outbreak of flu that killed more people than the war itself yet it only killed 2% of people it infected

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 04:31:37 am »

I doubt the normal flu can kill 6.500.000~ people a year

Well I know Diareha probably does gets close to that. but then again it only aggrivates symptoms of dehydration and malnutrician.

I more or less was refering to the Infect to survival ratio.

Swine flu is serious though

Serious... yes...

CRAZY TIME!!! no.

I mean... I went to the doctors during the SARS outbreak (I had a Lung infection... uhh Bronchitus?) and they asked me if I been to any Chinese restaurants or something (Nevermind that Madarin despite being Chinese themed has an almost exclusively non-Asian customer base... at least where I lived... In fact what was odd is that Frankie Tomatoes which is an Italian buffet actually had an unusually high Asian customer base to the point where I wondered if there was an Asian Ghetto near by)

because YES that is exactly where the disease came from... Chinese restaurants...

I swear... if I see people wearing masks I am going to flip out!

Note: I am using the classic term for Ghetto which is a location in which people of a certain ethnic origin live. Not the current term, which came from the classic term, of a torn down poor community usually accompanied by high crime rates.

Actually is there a more Politically correct slash less offensive term for a Ghetto besides "China Town" (which is oddly what people actually refer to these areas as to the point where I wonder if it is its official name... afterall Africatown was an actual town)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 04:35:37 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 [3]