Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does world size affect adv mode? Also, tips?  (Read 1140 times)

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does world size affect adv mode? Also, tips?
« on: May 20, 2009, 07:47:01 am »

I've barely played adventure mode and I want to generate the most interesting world I can. I usually gen medium worlds in fortress mode but I'm thinking that a large map would be better for adventure as you can actually visit everything.

My question is, does a large world cause Adv mode to lag any more than a medium would? It's already pretty horribly laggy and I don't want to make it any worse.

Also, does anyone have any tips on creating the world? Does stopping the history at any point give you more chance for megabeasts etc? Is it a good idea to add any mods to make the world more interesting (like Orcs for example)?

Thanks for any response.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Does world size affect adv mode? Also, tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:04:54 am »

The larger worlds do slow down adventure mode a bit (keeps track of migrant groups and weather across the whole world) but it's mostly noticable when yer in or about to enter or leave a heavily populated area.  I find reducing the max site population for civs helps offset this a bit.

The earlier you stop the worldgen the more megabeasts you'll have, but also the smaller civilizations and less wars you'll have.  Its pretty much a balance.  With a large world I often stop worldgen manually at around year 50 or 100, which seems to be a happy medium.  You could also just pause worldgen every few years to monitor how big the kingdoms are getting and stop the gen when it's satisfactory.

Mods can make the worlds more interesting, but I imagine a number of mods are made for fortress mode only and could behave strangely with some slight differences how some raws are interpreted in adventure mode. (A megabeast with the [webber] tag causes webs to dot the landscape, anything that needs a smelter will never be seen, that kinda thing)  I can't recommend any myself however as I use my own homebrew mods instead of any public ones.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:16:41 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I just genned a large world and stopped at about year 50. You're right about the slowdown, even moving a tile on the world map takes about twice as long as a medium world. I added the Orcs mod before genning so I hope to find some Orc strongholds to raid when I get a bit tougher.

So far, I've been to 2 towns and each gave me 1 quest each. On completion, both were the only ones available. I hope stopping world gen early will, indeed, give me enough beasts to keep me occupied.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:41 pm »

in the map pref screen theres actually a setting for the percentage of megabeasts you want to die off before the world gen stops. Personally I enjoy playing around year 3 with the civs set to 100. There is almost always war and the place is littered with megabeasts.

Also, if you're just looking for some megabeasts to kill, check the legends section and then look up where the beasts settled. Even after I could no longer get missions I managed to find a few more beasties, including a dragon, just sitting too far from civs to be noticed

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 02:36:45 pm »

I take it you did that by copying your save, retiring, then replacing the save? Can you check legends without doing that?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:57:04 pm »

if you retire in town then you can pick right back up where you left off. Just scroll to the bottom of the list of places to start at and there should be your previous adventurer. I usually just retire as opposed to save.