Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sources of ignition?  (Read 565 times)

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sources of ignition?
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:58:57 am »

Maybe I've just missed something, but are the only ways to catch items on fire through magma and fire imps?  Well, or also setting temperature to several hundred during world generation.

Is there no command to have dwarves set fires?

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of ignition?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:28:24 pm »

It's the temperature that makes things catch fire. a fireball or even magma are worthless without it, so some materials will catch fire in scorching embark sites if the temp is just high enough.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:03:17 pm »

Well right, I understand how temperature works.  But I mean, is there a way to start a fire besides the methods I mentioned previously?  If there is no magma source on the map, is it impossible to catch the grass on fire or a piece of lignite or what have you?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:06:35 pm »

Well, maybe you can try to play long enough til you get a dragon (or any other firespewing creatures),
Then think of some contraption to exploit said creature fire. It's worth a shot.

I can't really think of anything else, actually.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 01:25:43 pm »

There's no "set a fire" command outside of adventure mode, no.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:05:49 pm »

I suppose you could make a rock that doesn't appear naturally and has a very low ignite point, then make a smelter reaction that takes a fairly common material and turns it into said rock.

Assuming that the grass under a smelter can burn, you could then build a smelter outside and sacrifice a dwarf to start a wildfire.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.