Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The dwarves have named a local..  (Read 869 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
The dwarves have named a local..
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:21:54 pm »

I just got a notice that the dwarves named a cave swallowman an name. Does this happen frequently?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dwarves have named a local..
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:23:52 pm »

the dwarves named a cave swallowman an name.
That's because the swallowman is an hero who doesn't afraid of anything and probably killed one of your dwarves.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:28:20 pm »

No, I have no deaths except from a melacholy peasant
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:18:24 pm »

The "deaths" thing is what usually triggers a name, but it's hardly necessary.

Any "monster" that the dwarves see regularly can get a name. 

If a monster kills dwarfs (or even dogs?) it will probably get a name.

If one of your dogs kills some monsters it might get a name.

I believe it's mostly for color - no significant effect on game play.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:54:28 pm »

near the swallow mane there was some miasma/

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 03:40:19 pm »

near the swallow mane there was some miasma/
Probably just another cave creature that died of old age.

The "deaths" thing is what usually triggers a name, but it's hardly necessary.

Any "monster" that the dwarves see regularly can get a name. 

If a monster kills dwarfs (or even dogs?) it will probably get a name.

If one of your dogs kills some monsters it might get a name.

I believe it's mostly for color - no significant effect on game play.
Wow, for once you're not talking complete shit. Should point out that a dog will always get a name after it has killed one thing (be it a goblin, kobold or even those thieving little rhesus macaques), it's not a case of "It might get a name if it's had a few kills".

And for creatures that have been given a name as a result of killing something, it does have an effect on gameplay because that creature will now be listed in Legends mode (if that creature is female and can breed, any children it gives birth to after it's made a kill will also appear in Legends mode (even in the likely event that they're unnamed)), and there's a chance of engravers carving images of that creature striking down one of its victims.
I don't think this is the case for creatures given a name just because they've been in the local area for a certain period of time (dwarves seem to like naming all the ___men in chasms and stuff, even if they haven't done squat)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 04:06:01 pm »

Wow, for once you're not talking complete shit.
:-\ (crickets)

And for creatures that have been given a name as a result of killing something, it does have an effect on gameplay because that creature will now be listed in Legends mode (if that creature is female and can breed, any children it gives birth to after it's made a kill will also appear in Legends mode (even in the likely event that they're unnamed)), and there's a chance of engravers carving images of that creature striking down one of its victims.
I don't think this is the case for creatures given a name just because they've been in the local area for a certain period of time (dwarves seem to like naming all the ___men in chasms and stuff, even if they haven't done squat)
Arguably, appearing in legends and engravings isn't a significant effect on gameplay. There was a discussion maybe a few weeks ago about named creatures with notable kills (other creatures in legends, I believe) being stronger than creatures without. There was no consensus on whether or not it was true.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:51:06 pm »

Wow, for once you're not talking complete shit.

You shouldn't try too hard to live down to your user name.  If you have trouble keeping up I'll try to use more profanity next time, and smaller words more often.

...it does have an effect on gameplay because that creature will now be listed in Legends mode

That's just more color, that's not play.  The exact scene on an artifact hardly changes how the game plays.