Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-embarkation  (Read 1084 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re-embarkation
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:54:59 am »

I abandoned a fortress site I later changed my mind about and wanted to start on again. This there a way to make it possible to re-embark by deleting the old one or regenerating an identical world, or do I have to reclaim it? :P
Memento Mori

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re-embarkation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:39:24 am »

As you said, regenning an identical world will give you a similar starting place. I say similar, because the clusters and veins won't be the same stone, I believe. However, the general lay-out will remain the same.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:38:02 pm »

I ~think~ that if the same seeds are generated on the same machine, you'll get a carbon copy.  Might be wrong. 

But certainly ~very~ similar, yes.  Finding the same embark site is up to you.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:34 pm »

the best solution, is to make a few notes on the map them make a backup copy of the region BEFORE you embark. then whenever you want, copy over the backup (changing region number to run multiple forts on the same map if you want), and enjoy.

post-embark is just a wee bit more difficult than i know how to do myself.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:47:24 pm »

Ok, thanks. Forgive my ignorance but how do I go about regenning a world with the same seed? :P
Memento Mori

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:49:51 pm »

It's not hard at all - do a search - dozens of threads on that.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »

Alternatively, open the world in legends mode, press "p" to export the gen settings and find it in a ".txt" file in your main DF folder. Then, you can just add its contents to the "embark_profile.txt" file located in your init folder and gen it again.

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:44:05 pm »

I wish you could leave the fort without abandoning it. So you can start a new fort. Yet that one is still alive and running. That would also be great for visiting it in Adventure.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:46:20 pm »

I wish you could leave the fort without abandoning it. So you can start a new fort. Yet that one is still alive and running. That would also be great for visiting it in Adventure.

You can, just make a copy of your save. Only thing is you can't have your fort interact with your adventurer or vice versa.

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:48:04 pm »

I know. I mean on the same save. So they can interact.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 02:56:46 pm »

Save the file under a different name.  If you don't tell the game, it won't know the diff.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 07:34:53 pm »

Thing is, you can't revisit the fort with an adventurer without abandoning it first.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"