Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice that won't melt?  (Read 816 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
Ice that won't melt?
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:34:57 pm »

There's a section of my brook that won't melt, even though I have magma channeled directly under it.  The section directly north of it thawed, and temperature is on.  Also, I think it's in a different biome, since it stayed frozen through most of the first year, before I got the magma under it.

Is there something about the freezing biomes being cold enough for water to stay frozen even with magma under it?
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Ice that won't melt?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:01 pm »

If it shows as warm when you press "d' then it should melt.
I had an odd glitch in my game where after a few seasons my magma didn't melt my ice anymore. :/

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:57:31 pm »

Strangely, it isn't showing as warm.

SIDE VIEW
Code: [Select]
WIIIIW
WMMMMW

W=Wall
I=Ice
M=Magma
There is a floor between, obviously, and the ice is in the brook tiles, if that makes any difference.

None of is shows as 'warm'

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:14:44 am »

Are you sure it is directly under it? It could be one tile apart which would melt a part of it instead of all of it. I've had many a brook frozen, giving me chance to dig through them to get the ore they exposed. Of coarse, have to remember which end it runs before winter is over and it thaws...

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:36:14 pm »

Are you sure it is directly under it? It could be one tile apart which would melt a part of it instead of all of it. I've had many a brook frozen, giving me chance to dig through them to get the ore they exposed. Of coarse, have to remember which end it runs before winter is over and it thaws...
I assume you're asking if I left an entire z-level between the ice and the magma.  No, I didn't do that.

Of course, I load this fortress now, and the entire brook is frozen over again, as though the temperature of my magma no longer matters.  The section that it had managed to thaw is frozen again, as is the section that only thaws on its own for a small part of summer.
The magma is 7/7 depth.  Also, it is technically cut off from the magma pipe, as I had to raise it a level via a pump.  Does that make a difference?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »

Dwarven physics. Stop thinking about it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:46:38 pm »

Hello, Yanlin.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:59:43 pm »

I have a distinct feeling that only "flowing" magma will heat the tile above it, and that would explain why your and my brook both froze over after a few seasons.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 05:04:19 pm »

I have a distinct feeling that only "flowing" magma will heat the tile above it, and that would explain why your and my brook both froze over after a few seasons.
That would make sense, except that the stone at the edge of the brook, where my magma is shunted into the dug-out area, still shows warm.

Would the ice be cold enough to counter the magma?

Anyway, I liked the site so I kept the unsettled map.  I'll take another shot at it, and make sure the magma is set up to flow continually.  I'll see if that works.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:12:28 pm »

That would make sense, except that the stone at the edge of the brook, where my magma is shunted into the dug-out area, still shows warm.

Would the ice be cold enough to counter the magma?

Anyway, I liked the site so I kept the unsettled map.  I'll take another shot at it, and make sure the magma is set up to flow continually.  I'll see if that works.
Dropping a single constructed floor into an exposed part of the magma flow should displace just 1/7 or so of magma, creating a continually changing flow.