Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dark Diamond interview  (Read 36640 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dark Diamond interview
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 06:32:40 am »

Your (and your brothers') taste in games coincides with mine almost completely, so I'm interested in  that game with the lifeforms removed from the console version? StarPlay? It sounds a bit like Starflight or StarControl2, but different. I'd like to check it out sometime.

Nah, it was Starflight.  Starflight 1, not 2.  And it has to be the PC version apparently.

Your current hometown sounds horribly unfriendly by the way. I always pictured Seattle as a sort of industrial San Francisco, a hybrid of Amsterdam and Rotterdam sorta, probably the scene as depicted in Frasier is not representable of the town at all. ;)

I live in Silverdale, which has very little to do with Seattle aside from being in the same state.  Seattle could very well be as you imagine.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2009, 06:31:16 pm »

Ah, yes apparently Europeans have the vice versa blindness Americans tend to have towards European topography. ;)
I may have misjudged the distances between Silverdale and Seattle... it looked to be less than 50 KM.
(I also judged US citizens to be more mobile than their European counterparts, but lacking car and public transport, your can hardly be called mobile ;) )
edit: actually, I figured Silverdale to be a suburb of Seattle complete with infrastructure.

Ah, right-o.
I enjoyed Starflight 1 immensely, though I was probably too young (never won the game), it was the first ever game I bought.
This was for the C64 mind, but it had lifeforms too and cool geography to explore on planets as well as in space (nebulae, fluxgates etc). IIRC the lifeforms had individual discriptions and were unique on (almost?) each planet. Visually very rudimentary on the C64, but still quite good.
I never knew it came out for the NES or Sega megadrive consoles too...
Probably played like crap too, if ELITE for NES is any indication. :P

Now for that second part of the ramble files...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:42:30 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »

Yeah, Starflight kind of shaped me for life...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:33 pm »

Here's the whole transcript of the published interview, including LASD's first 7 minutes: http://pastebin.com/f74166139
The whole thing doesn't fit in one post, but here's the rest continuing from my previous post. Feel free to alter this transcript, clean it up or whatever. Hope this helps. :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2009, 08:27:30 am »

Mercan, where toady lives people aren't friendly apparently some punk kids drove up to him while he was taking a walk and said they were gonna kill him.  He brushed it off as just being a couple punk kids trying to pretend they were awesome or something.
They have to live in Bremerton.  Isn't that enough punishment? 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2009, 11:51:39 am »

Ah, yes apparently Europeans have the vice versa blindness Americans tend to have towards European topography. ;)
I may have misjudged the distances between Silverdale and Seattle... it looked to be less than 50 KM.
(I also judged US citizens to be more mobile than their European counterparts, but lacking car and public transport, your can hardly be called mobile ;) )
edit: actually, I figured Silverdale to be a suburb of Seattle complete with infrastructure.
Well, to give you some idea- I'm on the low end of daily driving with about a 13km route away from my house, though I should emphasize driving as I then ride public transit for something like 30km over to the city and a little less than another 10km over to where I'm getting a higher education. Most people look at me like I'm very unfortunate to have a commute of that length.

About the furthest I go opposite the city is about another 30km to where my sister lives, which is the next biggest city. If the space between wasn't so much marsh and other undesirable building area I'd probably have a range about the same size as Seattle.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2009, 12:21:07 pm »

Most suburban/rural America is near impossible to get around without a car. Then you have a place like Tysons Corner, Near Washington D.C. where I live, which is just insane to get around without a car.

You have 45 seconds to cross NINE lanes of traffic.
I'm back!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »

Five seconds per lane?  That just sounds like a brisk walking pace.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »

Well, to give you some idea- I'm on the low end of daily driving with about a 13km route away from my house, though I should emphasize driving as I then ride public transit for something like 30km over to the city and a little less than another 10km over to where I'm getting a higher education. Most people look at me like I'm very unfortunate to have a commute of that length.

About the furthest I go opposite the city is about another 30km to where my sister lives, which is the next biggest city. If the space between wasn't so much marsh and other undesirable building area I'd probably have a range about the same size as Seattle.
When I was a kid, I biked 20km to get to where my friend lived. One way. I wouldn't want to bike 30 to visit my sister, but 13 to get to public transport? Sure, it's cheaper than cars, and faster than walking.

Of course, that depends on the roads as well - if you have room to bike, you bike; but if there's no space, it's pretty much suicide. But, based on distance alone - I'd bike.
マグマキッド

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2009, 10:35:40 pm »

Nice interview. I really enjoyed that. Toady reminds me of myself in a lot of ways. Being a game designer was a dream of mine for quite a few years! It really is a pity how little to no improvement in detail/complexity has occured in the game industry versus graphical improvement.

Oh yeah, and 7 Cities of Gold was a blast!  :D
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 11:36:05 pm »

Five seconds per lane?  That just sounds like a brisk walking pace.

For an able bodied individual certainly. But, think of old ladies, or young ones, wearing heels. or anyone with a handicap etc.,  or perhaps you just weren't paying attention to the signal. You get my drift. it's pretty clear to everyone in the area that is was just poor urban planning. They have some 50 year plan to basicly rebuild most of the city. Think bulldozing everything and starting from scratch in Sim City.
I'm back!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2009, 03:27:29 am »

Most suburban/rural America is near impossible to get around without a car. Then you have a place like Tysons Corner, Near Washington D.C. where I live, which is just insane to get around without a car.

You have 45 seconds to cross NINE lanes of traffic.
:lol: that sounds like Frogger!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]