Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snare traps  (Read 833 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Snare traps
« on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:20 pm »

I have been trying to work out a method to make a Snare-trap for my Kobald camp. I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work, I think it might have something to do with the fact that a rope has to be built to hold a unit. so here is my question.

A) Is there a way to have the trap when triggered build a rope in an adjacent square and attache the trigeree to said rope?

B) If not is there a way to edit a rope to function as a cage when free or any other suggestions?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snare traps
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:38:06 pm »

So... to be clear... you want chains/ropes to be able to do what cages can do, cage trap basically, but with the use of rope/chains and a '3x3' or '+' trap area...

My understanding of game mechanic logic would figure those attached to the rope/chain would still be able to fight... if anything gets in its range...
That is if you are looking for the tie up/hang up the creature so they can't fight thing...

Eh, I can't really help here...  seems a cool idea. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 05:52:24 pm »

Pretty much, Im wanting the target creature to be tied to a rope, instead of locked in a quantum cage. thus giving them the one tile free movement and melee fighting. this way also if so desired you can shoot the enemy at range with ease, or your DM can walk out and pick them up for training, or a bunch of Goblins can wine and complain as you laugh at them impotently squirm as you reach for the magma lever. The preferred result is the trapped individual is tied to a rope as apposed to inside a cage.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 06:06:43 pm »

Surly the snare would only be temporary, if the creature has movement and still has the use of its hands (presuming it has hands) it would free itself in a short time (if intelligent).
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:42 pm »

This is completely impossible. There are only a few things that can be modded right now, and traps\buildings are not on that list.

You can move hostile units from cages onto chains though.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 06:47:49 pm »

What if the captured creature had some sort of ranged weaponry? Bows or crossbows...

@ Impaler: I figure rope/chains would work the same as ropes/chains and dwarven jails.  Strong prisoners can break the rope?

I never ever make ropes...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation