Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seaside nano-fortress (feedback please)  (Read 1495 times)

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
Seaside nano-fortress (feedback please)
« on: April 26, 2009, 12:40:24 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5641-sandcastle
Feedback please. And also any plans for a mega-project you can think of...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:05:32 pm by stormbringer951 »
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Seaside nano-fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:52:37 pm »

Nice compact design. (What tile set is that - very smooth angles!)

I think you need more (ok, ~some~) defense - a ring of raised balconies with fortifications jutting from the second floor of each tower seems appropriate.

Then, a massive fish trap project - you ~need~ a whale in an aquarium.  (See the mermaid thread that just resurfaced recently).

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 12:56:17 pm »

I've just got hold of a large orthoclase vein so I can carry on construction work on the castle.

Also, the tileset is PTTGV5, resized down to 12x12 with Paint.net.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:03:42 pm »

make a GIANT waterfall that goes from the highest you can get and let it exit at the bottom. or build a river that finds it way thru youre fort and use it as a giant power source and use that power to kill gobbos but more importantly ELVES!
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 01:05:08 pm »

No elves. Just dwarves, kobolds and gobbos. Most of the time the 'bolds never even make it to my gates. They are slaughtered by the skeletal deer / fox / racoons that turn up every now and then. Same for snatchers.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Re: Seaside nano-fortress (feedback please)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 01:08:33 pm »

then......... ahh what the hell abandon it. theres not enough elf killing,

(more serious answer) i saw youre fort and used is as and inspiration for a new small but rectangular fort. nice work.

And welcome to the forums.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 02:26:50 pm »

They are slaughtered by the skeletal deer / fox / racoons that turn up every now and then.

Okay, you know that you'll eventually get skeletal and zombie sea-life that walks the lands, right? 

Undead land-walking whales are... fun.  Just so you're ready when they show up (mentally and emotionally, if not militarily.)  ;D

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 03:05:01 pm »

They are slaughtered by the skeletal deer / fox / racoons that turn up every now and then.

Okay, you know that you'll eventually get skeletal and zombie sea-life that walks the lands, right? 

Undead land-walking whales are... fun.  Just so you're ready when they show up (mentally and emotionally, if not militarily.)  ;D

Actually the Ocean is usally compleatly different from the surrounding land.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »

I thought if the ocean tiles themselves had bled over into the evil land tiles, those ocean tiles would spawn undead ocean critters, no?

Meh - still, heads up.  If it does happen, you were warned.  8)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:12:47 pm »

That's a neat fort. You should maximize as much of the space as possible, i.e., build as big and wide a tower as you can.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 11:20:45 pm »

I saw it earlier on DFMA

I like it (and the now discovered allure of a nano fortress of my own, which I am resisting)

I do wish to ask however: what tileset are you using? Those diagonal walls look awesome!
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 01:10:13 am »

I've just got hold of a large orthoclase vein so I can carry on construction work on the castle.

Also, the tileset is PTTGV5, resized down to 12x12 with Paint.net.
I want to get it but I'm having trouble finding it.  What's the acronym mean?
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 01:12:54 am »

PTTGV5

PTTG??'s fifth tileset.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 11:15:31 am »

Yeah that. I resized it to 12x12 though.

The two biomes are seperate, so I get nice neutral sea creatures (merpeople and their expensive bones) and horribly annoying weak skeletal deer, foxes, racoons etc. Don't have to worry about kobolds there though :D and gobbo ambushes always get discovered by the wildlife first.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:44:02 am »

when i plug in PTTGs tileset it just gets blurry
will post screenshot in a sec

anyone got a solution?