Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Free word processor?  (Read 1707 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free word processor?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 04:52:54 pm »

Same exact place. I'll try to form a coherent post explaining what happened later.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »

Yeah, I have no idea what you're problem is. I've been using OO almost since it's first release, and I've never had to do more than uncheck all the additional crap. Most recent install was less than 6 months ago.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 05:02:22 pm »

Never had any problems with OO.  Easily denied all pushware without a hitch.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 06:19:00 pm »

I would go with OpenOffice as well. If you pay attention during installation you should be fine.
Or maybe this http://www.abisource.com/
I've never used it, but it was second behind OO on Google.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 06:49:01 pm »

So, I'm doing a report when Microsoft starts being an asscake and not working. Any of you guys have alternatives you would recommend? I tried OpenOffice but it wouldn't let me install without pushing a hundred fucking products on me as part of the terms.
don't go to www.openoffice.us.com, go to www.openoffice.org which is the real website and not a shell with part of the scam.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »

If you are really having problems with an OO installation then just grab the [link=http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable]portable version[/link]. It's entirely self contained and the installation is basically just unpacking the files, so you shouldn't get any advertising spam.

If you want to be hardcore about it, use Notepad++ (or a Mac/Linux text editor of your choice) and learn LaTeX. It's a typesetting language rather than a word processor, so you focus on entering the content and then typeset it according to whatever rules you want. It's WYMIWYG (What You Mean Is What You Get) as opposed to WYSIWYG, which most word processors aren't anyway.

I strongly recommend LaTeX for anything involving equations, more than, say, 50 pages and/or multiple chapters, or which you want to remain portable between computers - you can move the content files around as tiny plaintext files, then compile them to perfectly consistant .pdf or .ps files (and yes, people do still use PostScript).

There are systems that offer a more WYSIWYG interface, like LEd or LyX, but I've never bothered. Texnic Center is a pretty complete LaTeX workstation for Windows, and all I've ever needed.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 08:41:23 am »

Yeah, I stopped using MS Office after getting Open Office. It works great and loads up a lot faster too. Uglier, but no way I'm paying $200 for a different skin.

Google Docs is a powerful but tedious to use.

You might want to learn LaTeX too. It's got a steep learning curve, but you'll be able to write documents with figures and formulas and stuff much more beautifully once you get the hang of it. MS and Open Office are really easy to learn then become harder to use, LaTeX is the exact opposite.. hard to learn, becoming easier for experts.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 08:57:22 am »

If you're getting gigs worth of junk when installing OpenOffice I'd suggest that you're probably not getting it from the right source.  There are folks out there who repackage it with all kinds of shit.  Sounds like what you've found.  The site you want is OpenOffice.org

If that fails, there's AbiWord.  I've not used it much, but I've heard good things about it.

If neither of those works right, there's also Google Docs.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.
Pages: 1 [2]