Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lava farm  (Read 660 times)

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lava farm
« on: October 14, 2006, 06:10:00 pm »

Volcanic soil, VERY fertile land.
so why cant we flood a room with magma and then water, have an extra step to break the shale/other rocks into soil then have it as volcanic soil that lasts 3 years or so.

AND most of all makes volcanic mud when you flood with water..you know SUPER FARM!!!

not sure if lava uses the dead plants in it to make good soil or if its just good,

PS: for those of you that dont know the difference between magma and lava go look it up.

acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lava farm
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »

Hum ... isn't the reason volcanic soil is so rich because an eruption blasts out a whole lot of ash? If so, simply flooding a room with magma would probably be insufficient to improve soil quality.

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 07:52:00 pm »

The best answer that I found was volcanic MATERIAL eroded (ash) add water then its fertile.

an idea would be to break up the soil, not as good as the real thing but better than nothing.

But everything I have found so far points to material corroded/granulated which ash is so it would probably work

acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 12:42:00 am »

In some contexts, volcanic soil is very fertile, while in others it is barely able to support life. I don't recall exactly why; my guess is that it has something to do with the composition of the soil, although I don't know if the issue is whether it is mafic or silalic, or if it is an issue of ash vs. lava, or what.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 02:23:00 am »

I imagine one factor in volcanic soil would be the minerals present. Plants go better in soil rich in certain minerals, and poorly in soil poor in those minerals. That's the whole point of fertilization: you add in more of the minerals that help plants grow.

There are also other minerals that hinder plant growth. I think. THe only reason I know this is because my mother and my step-father are both botanists, and it's been a long time since I saw either one, so...

The breaking up of the soil would be important regardless: plants have a very hard time growing when they have nowhere to put their roots. Considering a lava flow would be pretty much solid stone, there's not much room for root growth, which leaves plants kinda screwed until at the very least some cracks are formed.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!