Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven monestary, keepers of the adamantine  (Read 4899 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven monestary, keepers of the adamantine
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 05:45:56 pm »

Don't flying creatures need a land-walkable path to something in order to realize they can reach it, at which point they calculate the shortest path and if that involves flying they do so? (That sounds like a very inefficient way to calculate things; path to it to see that you can, and then path again to find the shortest path? And only allow open space tiles for flying creatures in the second round of pathing?) I've never tested or seen this in action myself, but that's what I've read here, I believe in a discussion about flying invaders still needing a land-walkable path to a dorf, but then taking the shortest path over obstacles and whatnot.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 06:45:26 pm »

If they don't have the [MEANDER] tag, which I don't think demons do, they will be trapped for eternity by a six foot deep hole.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:40 pm »

Unfortunately, some of the HFS can fly. So they will fly up the chute you use to transfer food to the monks, and there will be much screaming, bloody body parts, and miasma.

The pathfinding system is imperfect for flying creatures. AFAIK they won't fly to a destination unless there is some way or another to path to it on foot. This is probably because expanding the pathfinding algorith to include open air would exponentially increase the calculation costs.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 09:59:55 pm »

Yeah, I've seen this in action before. I'm trying the LL mod and if an avar thief is on a tree when he gets discovered, he is stuck on top of it until the crossbowmen firemen came to get him out with their bolts ladders.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 10:31:08 pm »

===============
=======   I  =====
======  ===  ====
         L          ====
========  ======

This is a side view.  The I is a support connecting the floor of a 3X3 section of native rock with the ceiling above.  The sides are channeled free.  The L is a lever connected to the support.  The gap at the bottom of the chamber if the adamantine chute.  I think that this should plug the chute impenetrably (unless the demons learn to use picks...)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 11:14:05 pm »

Not a bad idea, but I was planning on building the monestary as an actual above ground structure

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 11:48:46 pm »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:22:07 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 12:03:13 am »

I should just note that flying HFS does not necessarily need a direct path to your dwarves.

I had a chasm, and breached the HFS and immediately sealed it with magma + water obsidian. Or so I thought!

There was one diagonal tile near the adamantine that led to the chasm. They began to fly up the chasm (about 15 levels), up the garbage chute I was using to dump garbage in there and proceeded to lay waste to the rest of the fort. Woops.

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 12:09:43 am »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:22:15 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 01:00:59 am »

Even if they were adamantine, they would be destroyed. The building destroyer tag cares not about the building material.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 01:15:14 am »

I dunno, I'm pretty sure I kept hidden fun stuff at bay with an adamantine hatch cover oncer....

that or they just didn't want to go up all those stairs

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 02:10:03 am »

One way that would work regardless of material, I think, is to channel across the path, perhaps several deep if you like, and make a drawbridge across it that (important) retracts to the side opposite of the HFS.

Non-flying HFS can't reach it to destroy it, and flying HFS may fail to path to the bridge to break past it. This is assuming you can retract it in time, of course.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 10:11:51 am »

Bah, trap the HFS. The monks will emerge from the mists of legend carrying SoF's in alder cages. That would be truly legendary.

(and yes, you can trap the demons, it just takes a little bit of planning)
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »

Bah, trap the HFS. The monks will emerge from the mists of legend carrying SoF's in alder cages. That would be truly legendary.

(and yes, you can trap the demons, it just takes a little bit of planning)

Is true: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-881-trappinghfs

Also, I believe (and unfortunately I cant back this up) that Building Destroyers need to be standing on solid ground to de-construct something, not, ie, floating in the air. Also I can confirm, Building Destroyers care not for the building material, both form personal experience and http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Building_destroyers
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 02:22:12 am »

...all preferably worshippers of the same god if possible...

I like this - just pick one, and then kill all non-believers when they show up.

This'll work especially well with the addition of burrows coming up...

A bit more egalitarian and tolerant, admittedly.  With all the different gods, some of the burrows would be rather thinly populated... or you could just have X number of burrows, and let the dominant religions inhabit them, and then kill the rest. 

That's the dwarven form of tolerance and comprimise.   8)
Pages: 1 [2]