Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress review  (Read 3444 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress review
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:00 pm »

Cool. The writer came here and didn't freak out over our defensive posture.

But yes, we are crazy over DF. We will scour the internet for every use of it, and post it here. A habit which cannot be good for us.

Still, I have to maintain that in comparison to Roguelikes Dwarf Fortress is rather good in the way of an interface. Sure it is rather obtuse, but it works and it always shows you the multitude of options you can do. I would enjoy seeing any review you would have on a game like, say Incursion, which has a mix between a roguelike and, from what I understand, D&D rules.

Also, my earlier post was an excuse to bash those who dislike Toady for neglecting the interface for the time being to develop freak dwarf beards of nature.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 07:20:07 pm »

Hello, everyone. My name is Stefan Beeman, and I am the author of the "review" this thread is about.

It amuses me greatly to see that you guys have found it, as it was in fact part of a class assignment at Bennington College - "Code Critique" is the name of the class, and this blog is used by the students to post responses to weekly readings. This is why there are not comments on the blog - all of the intended readers have direct access, and there's no one person to email.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for clearing that up, and welcome to the forums (not that I know if you'll be staying or not, of course :D).

I also apologize for the spelling errors - I wrote this particular post at the end of spring break, which didn't help my writing any.
Aw shucks, now I'm feeling all guilty-like! Sorry about that - I tend to be a bit grumpy in the morning.
マグマキッド

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 01:27:14 pm »

Because Toady didn't code in mouse support, that's why. He has and had his reasons. Doesn't make it a good choice. Not even a good trade off.

WAIT!

Stop right there. Ther IS mouse support. It simply isn't used in most situations.

Next time you are designating something, go scribble all over the place with the mouse(with button held down)

NOW tell me there is NO mouse support.

Of course, it's one of the less useful areas to have mouse support, or at least more specific, but it shows that there IS support that could easily be expanded.
Eh?
Eh!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 01:31:30 pm »

Cool. The writer came here and didn't freak out over our defensive posture

His maturity is a bit overwhelming... I feel like something is wrong

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 01:59:38 pm »

Cool. The writer came here and didn't freak out over our defensive posture

His maturity is a bit overwhelming... I feel like something is wrong
He's in university, this means he isn't 13. 

Kuromimi505

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 03:35:38 pm »

Now that DF is getting bad press out there (even if the press is a school project) can we convince Toady to toss the interested coder fans DF's front end so they can see what they come up with just like he did for the open GL?

Distributing a bit of the work load like that didn't seem to offend too many sensibilities.

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 06:49:12 pm »

WAIT!

Stop right there. Ther IS mouse support. It simply isn't used in most situations.

Next time you are designating something, go scribble all over the place with the mouse(with button held down)

Of course, it's one of the less useful areas to have mouse support, or at least more specific, but it shows that there IS support that could easily be expanded.

It's an attempt at mouse support, I grant you. But as it is, it is rather useless. We can call it mouse support when I can actually interact with the game in full via the mouse.

Or by way of hyperbole: Since I can type in text somewhere in DF, it has word processing support. ;)

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 09:20:12 pm »

WAIT!

It's an attempt at mouse support, I grant you. But as it is, it is rather useless. We can call it mouse support when I can actually interact with the game in full via the mouse.

Or by way of hyperbole: Since I can type in text somewhere in DF, it has word processing support. ;)
Well it does, have you seen the name selection screen for embarking?
Pages: 1 2 [3]