Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] lightspeed wagons  (Read 2992 times)

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] lightspeed wagons
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

Searched the bug reports page, didn't see this. Vanilla unmodded DF, with invaders off, wined on Linux (although I haven't gotten this the other times I've been wining it)

A few days ago, this fort's first dwarven merchants arrived. The first wagon started slowly moving over my smoothed stone "road", slower than they normally go. Like, really really slow.

Then, the second wagon arrived at the site, and pretty much warped to the depot. It moved as fast/faster than a flying bolt, and instantly started setting up. It took another like five minutes for the first wagon to arrive.

I sort of wasn't really thinking at the time (late at night) so I failed to do a few things, including checking what was at the depot before/after the slow wagon and the mules arrived, or getting a save while it was at the depot. When the merchants packed up and left, the fast wagon again warped off the map, although I don't recall if the slow wagon was still slow. I think it was just normal-speed after, though.

So, not such a useful bug report if it isn't something obvious in the code (I would expect weight-related- I bought a lot of metal and an anvil off the merchants, which I suspect were all on the slow wagon). If it happens again next time traders come, I'll get a save in the middle and post a link in this thread.

You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] lightspeed wagons
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

Interestingly, aside from the version number, this post has the exact same title  :)

Though I did not see this in a search for "wagon" on the bug page either.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

Yeah, I'll need a save to get any further with this one.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>Interestingly, aside from the version number, this post has the exact same title   :)</STRONG>

Holy crap. I didn't want to wade through a million posts including the word wagon- I didn't think someone would just title it the same as I did.

You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »

Interesting that the other guy was using linux too. Would lead me to believe that it has something to do with linux, since i've never seen anybody on windows having the problem.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

Actually, I just had this problem - same version, but on windows.

I wasn't looking outside my fortress, just at the depot area.  All the mules had arrived after wagons got there, so I figured it was time to trade.  They kept saying they weren't ready.

I began a search of the map and sure enough there was the slow poke wagon.  Like really slow.  Like an unconsious dog was moving faster.

It did make it to the depot and allowed me to trade, but when it left, that single wagon still lumbered along after everyone else had left.

Don't have a save of that one, but now I know to keep an eye out for it.  Don't remember if it was anything specific that I requested them to bring that might possibly be causing the wagon to have weight issues.  Anyways, I'll see if I can recreate it.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

Strangely enough, I've not gotten any lightspeed wagons lately.

Then again, I've been playing less often. Last time, I was running Dwarf Fortress on a Windows machine via VNC, since it runs faster on that particular machine but I still like sitting at the Linux machine.

Still love reading about the bugs and stories, though.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 08:58:54 pm »

Here we go. I've got a save with one of these, in 40d.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=678

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 04:39:35 am »

Okay, just searched and found this topic.  I just now had this bug happen to me.  It's autumn in the eighth year of my fortress, and the dwarven merchants appeared on the map.  The lead wagon moved as fast as or faster than a flying bolt into my trade depot.  The other wagons in the caravan moved at a normal speed.  This occurred on a Windows XP computer running 40d, with an early version of Winamp running in the background, and no other applications running.

I don't have a save with the wagon actually going fast, although I do have a movie recorded of the second second that the wagon was on the screen before it got to my depot, and I can upload a save file that I made a few seconds after the wagon got to the depot with it sitting there waiting on the other wagons, if it would help.

Also, since I had seasonal autosaves turned on, I tried to reproduce the bug by starting from autumn, but the second time the caravan appeared, it came from the south rather than the east and all the wagons moved at a normal speed.  So whatever causes this, I can't seem to reproduce it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 03:47:16 pm »

I just got this bug too, but I didn't save and I couldn't reproduce it unfortunately  :-\  Reloading the seasonal save just gave me the normal trader behavior.
I'm playing 40d on a Mac.  The super-fast wagon was originally the fourth one in, and it would zoom until it was on top of the one in front of it until they got to a "passing zone", at which point the fast one would shoot ahead until it was blocked by the next one up, wash rinse repeat.  The wagon then zoomed off the map in about 1 sec real time when the traders left (it was the first one out of the depot).
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 03:08:38 pm »

First autumn traders in my new fort (vanilla DF, though possibly notably I chose a fort with a magma pipe) showed up in super-fast wagons and stayed to trade for less than five minutes real-time.  I haven't even saved the game yet.

It's not actually a problem, I got most of what I needed off them.  Annoying, though.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:16:48 pm »

Do wagons have to calculate weight? I figure if lightspeed wagon has nothing but light cloth, it'll move fast, right? And if slow wagon is chuck full of anvils? Although I don't pretend to have any  authority or real knowledge of how exactly Toady programmed wagons to function.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 11:05:40 am »

Pretty sure "lightspeed wagons" is faster than "unladen wagon" or even "unladen dwarf".  Pretty sure it's closer to "race car"..."at top speed".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 05:59:58 am »

Given that it always seems to happen with one extremely fast wagon and at least one extremely slow wagon, I would recommend figuring out if the fast wagon has anything on it at all. It may be, for some reason, all it's inventory is dumped on the other/s
!!&!!

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:52:01 am »

Nope, I had a pair of lightning wagons show up.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA