Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alignment  (Read 612 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Alignment
« on: April 28, 2009, 05:10:26 am »

How do i know if a place is good or evil?  :P sorry noobish question.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Alignment
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 05:27:22 am »

Welcome - this is the place for those type of questions!

Once you've embarked, I'm not sure there is a positive way to tell, except by an examination of the wildlife, both plant and animal.

~Before~ embark, you can see it on the local map, by hitting the various F1, F2 & etc keys, depending how many biomes you have in your chosen embark area.

You can also get a feel for it on the Regional map - evil is pink, good is blue, savage is yellow (iirc?) - whatever. 

Hit < u >, and see what critters are wandering about. trogs, antmen, bat/ratmen, fire imps and the like are common across the board - they just mean you have a chasm/pit or magma.  And check out the vermin ( <k> when you see one blip by) - you're looking for distinct fauna, specifically, some of the animals, vermin or plants on this list:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Surroundings

You will have to Gather Plants to ID the plants.  And don't forget that each biome tile (48 individual tiles square) can be diff.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:38:53 am »

Oh,that works in a different way than i expected.So serene and sinister both can be of the same "danger level"?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:08:37 am »

Yes, there are 3 levels of savagery for good / neutral / evil each

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:02:41 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Surroundings

Check the wiki first next time. Okay?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:29:51 pm »

Pink/purple, red/grey, and red/dark yellow splotches on the region map are evil, depending in the biome.

Bright yellow or blue splotches indicate good-aligned areas.

As far as I know, there's no color inidication for savagery. You can tell by the given surroundings of the area and that wiki link, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:18:08 pm »

Oh,that works in a different way than i expected.So serene and sinister both can be of the same "danger level"?

Savagery is an odd axis of danger - in theory, I guess it's how "aggressive" critters are.  But, those critters have the potential to be MUCH more dangerous in evil than in good.  Zombie versions of critters have no internal organs to destroy (aka "instakill"), and skeletal critters are even worse. 

(Altho' many insist one of the most dangerous animals is the unicorn, a benign biome animal.)

But Fun!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 06:26:07 pm »

(Altho' many insist one of the most dangerous animals is the unicorn, a benign biome animal.)

Having had a fortress in a joyous wilds forest, I can safely say that the threat of unicorns has been greatly overstated.

Checking the vermin that move around is a good suggestion. If you get demon rats, knuckle worms, and blood gnats, you're in an evil area. If you get pixies, fairies, and fluffy wamblers, you're in a good area. If you see two-legged rhino lizards, it means the area you're in has high savagery, but their presence has no bearing on whether the area is good or evil.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:50:02 pm »

Having had a fortress in a joyous wilds forest, I can safely say that the threat of unicorns has been greatly overstated.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I've had untrained hunters wrestle unicorns to death.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 08:23:29 pm »

One of you may want to address this in the wiki.  That makes them sound worse than skeletal giant eagles.