Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced Waterways  (Read 1121 times)

extar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.extarscube.com
Advanced Waterways
« on: September 01, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »

I'm new to the forum, so hi, I really couldn't sit on this idea any longer.
I'd love to see more creative uses of water in the game.
Specifically, if channels could be used for transport, so dwarves could construct barges, gondolas and boats for travelling along channels like canals. This could be to facilitate bulk transport across the length and breadth of the fortress (barges), recreation for dwarves (gondolas) or general exploration and transport (boats).
Boats could struggle in the cave river but could safely navigate the internal waterways of the fortress.
So many cool things to do with waterways.
-Workshops set onto canalsides, a dwarven Venice.
-Barges hauling ore, stone and blocks.
-Professional ship-builders and sailors.
-Underground lakes patrolled by fishing boats.
-A Tunnel of Love ride?  :D

Clearly, this idea falls into the 'hopelessly ambitious' category as it'd be an entirely new side of the game and could really affect existing systems (particularly item hauling if barges are considered), but it would be very cool, no?

Extar has been very unhappy lately. He has complained of the lack of chairs lately. He admired a fine piece of ass lately. He conducted a meeting in a horribly substandard setting recently. <BR>Extar likes obsidian, heavy metals and nine inch nails. He needs alcohol to get through the working day and is beginning to work slowly due to its scarcity.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Waterways
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »

Nothing is too hopelessly ambitious for DF.  In fact, boats and such are already planned.  "Channels", on the other hand, are obsolete (see the details for the new upcoming version).

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 08:50:00 am »

A tunnel of love to help with dwarf recreation/multiplication? Hmm... The mind boggles.   :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 08:01:00 pm »

What I personally want to see are river traders... gnomes maybe?
They could come down the river in their canoes, maybe 1x3 in size, dock near your depot, and sell you lots of fish etc. It'd be neat!
I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.