Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unlimited Stockpiles  (Read 1180 times)

Tarengrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unlimited Stockpiles
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:27:05 am »

Well, good day all. Being somewhat new to Dwarf Fortress I was looking for a way to Change Stockpiles in a way, so they can take in a bigger amount of Stones (raw, not blocked) on one Pile.

I imagined it should be possible since you can designate a Dump Area and dump your whole mountain no that square, so I was hoping to find a way to "tweak" the normal Stockpiles to take in like 10-20 Stones at once. Is that possible and if yes, how?

I have been looking around in the Raw Data for some time, though found nothing of it.

Help would be appreciated.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Unlimited Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:32:38 am »

I know for sure that the only way that you would be able to do that would be to go through the exe. Someone might be able to create a hack for it, but most likely the best thing to do would be to stick to dumping.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:26:56 am »

There's an exploit-y thing you can do, sometimes referred to as a "quantum stockpile" - designate a 1x1 dump zone, and mark everything for dumping.  It all gets piled into a 1x1 space, and then you can reclaim it.  My current fortress has several thousand chunks of ore piled in between my mason shop and my mechanic. 

This wouldn't work very well for food/drink, as they seem to decay rapidly if they're not on an actual stockpile.  Bone/shell will decay if they are stored outside, regardless of stockpile or no. 

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:31:49 am »

I say forget it: Stockpiles are not specified in the raw files, and thus cannot be modified normally. You could .exe dive, but I don't think Toady would appreciate that. I say go with the quantum stockpile suggestion.

Also, stone blocks can be placed in bins. They can't be used in jobs other than making workshops/constructions, but it is good for megaprojects to boost wealth.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:46:01 am »

The trick to quantum stockpiling food is to place your dump zone over a hole, and designate a food stockpile under it.

Also, if you're willing to hack up the raws, consider using the unblock mod. Then you can store your stone as blocks (which can be stacked by tens in bins) and unblock it when you need to use it.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:16:57 am »

The trick to quantum stockpiling food is to place your dump zone over a hole, and designate a food stockpile under it.

Sneaky!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:21:22 am »

Also, if you're willing to hack up the raws, consider using the unblock mod. Then you can store your stone as blocks (which can be stacked by tens in bins) and unblock it when you need to use it.

Or just dump all the food in one square, reclaim all and tag this square as a food store.
Finis sanctificat media.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:38:11 am »

Or just dump all the food in one square, reclaim all and tag this square as a food store.
Micromanagement! Blech! Bad enough you have to remember to reclaim the food periodically. Now you want to constantly rezone the dump and stockpile?

Saaay, I wonder if you could zone a dump right on a stockpile? I'll have to try that at some point.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:31:14 am »

Sneaky!
except you dont really need to use a hole, do you? you can just do the whole thing on the same z level.

And while we're at it: I havent quantum piled that much food, in fact I only use it to get rid of stones before I decorate rooms / flood water channels. But are we absolutely positively sure that "forbidden" items still get recognized as being placed in a stockpile? Does forbidding really only affect the dwarves?

Oh btw, I quantum stockpile trash, not by dumping, but by letting them items getting moved by water. Over a stockpile area. That's a way to do it without having to reclaim anything btw. But it will damage the items in question and it will not work with wood/stone in their base form. (Products made of it are fine...)

Metal items however wont budge.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 12:57:39 am »

Micromanagement! Blech! Bad enough you have to remember to reclaim the food periodically. Now you want to constantly rezone the dump and stockpile?
Nanomanagement. ;-)

Saaay, I wonder if you could zone a dump right on a stockpile? I'll have to try that at some point.
Something says to me that stockpile zones will override (over-lay) garbage zones.
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 01:02:56 am »

Oh btw, I quantum stockpile trash, not by dumping, but by letting them items getting moved by water. Over a stockpile area. That's a way to do it without having to reclaim anything btw.
Once you forbid an item - it stays forbidden until you claim it again. No matter "where it go" by water or cavein or somewhat else.
Finis sanctificat media.