Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dunked dwarves eventually learn to swim  (Read 781 times)

silsor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dunked dwarves eventually learn to swim
« on: October 13, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »

It would be nice if dwarves that repeatedly survive floods could eventually "learn to swim".  This could be particularly good for fisherdwarves or other dwarves that work around the underground river a lot.  Of course, it would also lead to people providing impromptu "swimming lessons" for parts of their population, but I think that would just make the game more fun and add an extra little gameplay trick.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dunked dwarves eventually learn to swim
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:24:00 pm »

Or, perhaps have them swim in any ponds you have as an "on break" job and thats how they learn to swim, and swimming skill gives extra duration that they can survive drowning?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 06:21:00 pm »

I think it was hinted at in the dev. notes that there will eventually be a swimming skill.   That would be neat.

silsor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:27:00 pm »

I thought about dwarves having swimming as a skill but it just seems way out of character.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 11:45:00 pm »

Something being "out of character" shouldn't keep them from being able to do it, especially if not being able to do it has caused countless deaths.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 11:54:00 pm »

So I guess they should prescribe antibiotics, too?

Part of the challenge of the game so far has been engineering my landings such that dwarves swept off the bank have an opportunity to get their footing again via any number of emergency bridges. Dwarves = LIKE TO BUILD THINGS. Dwarves != LIKE TO SWIM.

Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 12:10:00 am »

I don't really like to swim either but I'm sure if I fell in a river I'd at least try to...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 12:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SquidDNA:
<STRONG>So I guess they should prescribe antibiotics, too?

Part of the challenge of the game so far has been engineering my landings such that dwarves swept off the bank have an opportunity to get their footing again via any number of emergency bridges. Dwarves = LIKE TO BUILD THINGS. Dwarves != LIKE TO SWIM.</STRONG>

Dwarves also don't just wilfully stand at the bottom of a lake if they fall in.   They'd probably start flapping and trying to swim.  Those that don't die get better at swimming.

Edit:  Plus it'd be useful in Adventure mode.  Maybe diving to the bottom and getting pearls and stuff?

[ October 14, 2006: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 12:35:00 am »

In a few stories, the dwarves' density greater than water. They can't swim, they sink! But they can hold their breath for few days. All that is needed if for the dwarves to have some sort of map and slimbing skills.

[ October 14, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 12:55:00 am »

EIGHT YEARS FROM NOW (SCROLL TO BOTTOM)

Swimming would be cool and leads to all sorts of interesting things.  Maybe it won't be eight years from now...  it's more the boats and things that'll probably have to wait a while.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!