Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different levels of flooding  (Read 895 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different levels of flooding
« on: September 01, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »

(As you see, I fire suggestions in bursts, it's a stream of consciousness thing...  :) )

If we could regulate how much open a floodgate is, we could regulate how flooded things would be. You don't need to put a field under six feet of water to irrigate it, after all.

You might even make little lakes that dwarves can wade in, and where you grow other kinds of stuff than what grows on land. Water lilies come to mind, and rice paddies!

Not to mention it's recreational to float around on a pond in a boat, knowing that if you fall in, the water'll reach your knees at most.

It'd be good for bathing too, and swimming practice. And for irrigating fields without drowning the farmers and crops.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different levels of flooding
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »

I believe someone once mentioned flood triggers. For instance a buoy starting to float and closing the floodgate once a certain waterlevel is reached.

If such buoys could be set with a selectable activation and deactivation level you could say that if the water reaches higher than 4, shut the gate, lower than 2, open. It would require a bit more intricate system than today's though, since simply toggling a floodgate could end up confusing it.

quote:
You don't need to put a field under six feet of water to irrigate it, after all.
With all the cool new changes coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if buckets could help with limited farming. Speaking of irrigration, noticed the "screw pump" in the Mule dev video?(frame 4557)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different levels of flooding
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »

I haven't watched any of the dev videos yet. I downloaded a player around last week, and I'll probably get to watching them somewhere around next week...

The buoy seems a bit overly complicated for a simple irrigation job. All you need to do is to open a floodgate to the level you want, say, two. You have an upstream one that lets it in, and a downstream one letting it out.

Now that fluid mechanics are apparently coming in, it'd be nice with one-way floodgates.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.