Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dynamic Fortress Size  (Read 7968 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Fortress Size
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 08:05:16 am »

I actually though he means on the horizontal.

Like; Increase size 1 towards north, chop of all the trees there, decrease size 1 from north.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 08:19:37 am »

I actually though he means on the horizontal.

Like; Increase size 1 towards north, chop of all the trees there, decrease size 1 from north.

Either way really; Vertical would probably be easier and very helpful in and of itself, but horizontal would be Radical.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 10:30:33 am »

You could have an option to "Send out scouts". When they return, they would tell you what is to be found around the fortress, so you could choose the right direction to expand into.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 11:55:14 am »

You could have an option to "Send out scouts". When they return, they would tell you what is to be found around the fortress, so you could choose the right direction to expand into.
This would also enable you to 'move' sources. For example, after sending out a scouting party, you could get a dialoge window like this:
Code: [Select]
'Geologists report a magma pipe near the surface.
*Good to know, note it on the map for when we can use it.
->*Good! Mine a tunnel to it so way may tap off some of the magma, no matter how long it may take to get here. (Sub options on where the tunnel will enter the map. )
*Good! Expand our borders and strike the earth!
Along with a little map of your current land, including discovered features, and an approximate (Features may be displayed one embark tile next the where they actually are, depending on how hard they are to find.) map of the scouted area.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 12:00:19 pm »

I'm generally against this.  What I wouldn't be against is a fixed size, with the full terrain (X,Y coords) revealed, but expanding to a restricted degree for the Z coords.  Which I think is already in the plans, to save processor power.  So I'm generally against this.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »

What about full dynamic loading, like in Oblivion? No matter where you go, the game always loads the tiles in your immediate surroundings...THAT would be radical.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 01:33:11 pm »

What about full dynamic loading, like in Oblivion? No matter where you go, the game always loads the tiles in your immediate surroundings...THAT would be radical.

But Oblivion is an RPG, where you control just one unit.  DF in Fortress mode have a crap-ton of units all over the map, the game will still have to keep track of them.

Even Oblivion only track a couple dozen individuals consistently through the world map (and more then likely in coarse grain tracking).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Jakkarra

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 02:30:11 pm »

yknow, theres three threads pertaining to this now, i think, however, they are SLIGHTLY different, but all talk about the same concept.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but, yours is the oldest, so meh.

love, jakkarra

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 03:24:53 pm »

Pipe the magma to all the elven retreats!

A single lever in the main fort...

No more elves.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 08:45:09 pm »

Pipe the magma to all the elven retreats!

A single lever in the main fort...

No more elves.

I really think if you tried this your computer would EXPLODE.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 11:59:46 am »

This has come up before:

Quote from: Toady One
You are still limited to the map you see there -- this is just a space/speed constraint now though, rather than a problem with how it is stored.  If people want to play fortress on larger maps eventually, it won't take so long to add.  It would also be possible to start your map smaller and just let you extend in the direction you want to extend, out to some limit determined by your system.

Jakkarra

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »

nice find Footkerchief, id look at all the bloats and stuff too, but i dont have the time.

anyway, at least we know this is being though about...

Love, jakkarra

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:03 pm »

Yeah, and then one comes back being chased by the entire worlds worth of goblins because he just happened to be totally to awesome for the job.

So much FUN, it hurts.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 2 [3]