Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long does the Age of Heroes last?  (Read 679 times)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
How long does the Age of Heroes last?
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:16:38 am »

Do slices of history get unique names yet? Or is that in the next release? I just made a world up to year 2009 and it's still the Age of Heroes.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long does the Age of Heroes last?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:39:33 am »

As far as I can tell, once it gets to the Age of Heroes it tends to stay like that unless one race becomes dominant over all others, in which case it becomes the Age of the Elf or whatever. I think it can also become the Twilight Age if humans become dominant and there are mostly only 'mundane' creatures left. I have also seen the Age of Fairytales, but I'm not sure what this is.

I have seen someone post that it became the Second Age of Legends, there was speculation that this might happen if enough people become legendary in game, but I'm not sure about this.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:04:27 am »

at a guess, I'd say Age of Fairytales would be if humans die out or become endangered, and there are mostly "fantastical" creatures left. (i.e. unicorns rather than deer) 

I also recall reading that releasing the HFS and failing to stop them can result in the world going back to the Age of Myth?

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 12:36:58 pm »

I've just remembered that sometimes you get the Golden Age after the Age of Heroes. Not sure what causes it though.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:03:36 pm »

Age of fairytales is actually when most fantastical creatures die off, and simply become fairytales.  I believe.  Not 100% sure on this one.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 02:58:00 pm »

Toady said during dev that Age of Fairy Tales meant that 90% or more of civilized creatures were mundane (i.e. humans, in the vanilla game). Perhaps Twilight age is when only mundane creatures are left.

Also, the Age of Heroes means there are still a few major powers left. Try hunting down all the remaining demons (goblin leaders, not HFS) and megabeasts; it should then become the Golden Age.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 04:34:16 pm »

Theres also an Age of Emptiness; basically all civs have been wiped off the map and no major creatures are still alive. There was a topic about it a while back, hang on....

Here it is: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29421.0

Granted, it was made because of a modding error, but it still exists.