Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Counselor" dwarf job /noble  (Read 925 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
"Counselor" dwarf job /noble
« on: October 10, 2006, 08:15:00 pm »

A small thought; what if there was a Noble or a job who's objective is to maintain the happyness of the other dwarves? A dwarf with this job enabled, or simply the noble in charge of these dwarves, would run around the fortress, attempting to make the saddest dwarf in the fortress happy. Sort of like a morale (morale as in happyness; not lawfulness) officer or counselor.

Primarilly, this dwarf would attempt to calm tanrumming dwarves, and would attempt to raise the happyness level of the dwarves in the fortress to the lowest possible "happy" level of emotion.

IMO, i think it'd make more sense for this dwarf to be a noble, just as the Sheriff /Captain of the Gaurd is in charge of maintaining dwarven law, so too would the Counselor /Morale Officer be in charge of keeping everyone as happy as possible. It'd also give a reason as to why the dwarf would need a office and cabinets; to do and store paperwork and emotional profiles. Being a noble also allows for their arrival to be predetermined, once X dwarves are in the fort, and to give the player extra abilities so long as that noble is alive -- like giving the player an overview of Dwarven Happyness :: Just as the Sheriff /Captain gives an overview of Dwarven Justice.

Once there's >75 dwarves, the job would be too much for one dwarf to handle, so like the Captain of the Gaurd, the Counselor /Morale Officer could mandate that he have X number of assistants; which would really just be an additional number of Fortress Gaurd soldiers.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Counselor" dwarf job /noble
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:15:00 pm »

I like this idea.  I've thought of something similar too. Here are a few more ideas that can accompany the whole happiness portion of dwarf fortress.  

The reasons behind a dwarf tantrum can become more complex; maybe because a dwarf is bedridden for weeks he or she feels left out of the society.  I also think dwarves are generally a productive group. Maybe a lack of active participation in a daily routine or decreased activity in his or her most skilled job results in feelings of inadequacy.  I'm not entirely sure if these thoughts already exists in the game or not, but I have a few ideas of compensating for dwarven illness and injury.

When you get this new noble, several new items can be produced in the metal or carpenter shop.  Crutches, prostheses (like a wooden leg), ortheses (like a splint for a broken hand), and other kinds of medical equipment can be produced.  It may be a bit of a stretch, but I was thinking of wheelchairs (or something similar like a mobile stander) in the game too.  If these devices aid the dwarf in accomplishing his or her important jobs, this should make the dwarf feel happier.

I've also noticed a lot of development activity focusing on the body composition of entities in the game.  I wonder how detailed this will become.  In addition, how many medical conditions might dwarves potentially have?  Will trauma to the brain have realistic immediate and long-term affects?  It's fun to think about dwarf fortress's future potential.

mausmausmausmaus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://mausmausmausmaus.com
Re: "Counselor" dwarf job /noble
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:59:00 pm »

Yeah, I posted a similar idea in this thread, rolling the counselor position up with a priestly one.