Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Randomly crashing under Windows 7?  (Read 2276 times)

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Randomly crashing under Windows 7?
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:05:38 pm »

Last night I decided to reinstall my laptop.
Since I ran out of Windows Vista licenses and couldn't find any of my recovery DVDs, I went ahead and installed the Windows 7 RC (had to happen on of these days anyway :P).

At the moment, Dwarf Fortress seems to be crashing relatively randomly when I move around the map and/or change Z levels.

I'm wondering if anyone else is running Windows 7 and if they also have the same issues?

I've not tried too many things to diagnose the situation yet. Could easily be an issue with the graphics driver or some other issue that is not directly related to Dwarf Fortress.
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Randomly crashing under Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53:53 pm »

I'm running the beta, and I have no problems
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 02:15:02 pm »

I'm running the beta, and I have no problems

That's quite impressive. I also heard that the Windows 7 beta system is faster than XP or Vista already. Is this true?

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 02:35:49 pm »

It's not that much faster than Vista, and it's certianly not any faster than XP...

But at the same time that is like saying the 1973 Gremlin is faster than a 2008 Prius.

Sure, they are both cars and the both run on the same roads--but they were built for different times, and with different requirements.

Vista adds a whole lotta style (which I am unable to say about either the Gremlin or the Prius) and flash. 7 adds a whole lotta stability and REFINES the flash. It also greately reduces the annoying "Are you sure you want to do this?" dialog.

Think of it this way:

Windows Vista = Windows ME
Windows 7 = Windows XP

or to put it a more dwarvenly way:

Windows Vista = Dwarven Atom Smasher
Windows 7 = Water/Magma flood
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »

As far as the original topic of discussion is involved: There is a remote possibility that I screwed up the cat-mouth-fix bit. I'm not sure if that should cause DF to crash, but it might be an explanation. I've not yet played long enough with a clean install to know for sure if it works now, but we'll see.
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:13:03 pm »

I haven't heard of any minor thing like the messing up the cat fix causing a crash, you can do a whole buncha weird things with those raw files without issue.  It probably is possible to crash the game doing something absolutely insane with them, but the cat thing is hardly white-coat worthy.

I have no experience with windows 7 myself.  All I can suggest is if it has it to try compatibility modes and things.

As a side note am I the only one who noticed a sharp increase in DF won't work for me posts?  I saw 3 in the last month, and I never go to the bug reports section.  I think before that I usually saw about 1 a year.  Makes me wonder what could be the cause.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:03:18 pm »

I haven't heard of any minor thing like the messing up the cat fix causing a crash, you can do a whole buncha weird things with those raw files without issue.  It probably is possible to crash the game doing something absolutely insane with them, but the cat thing is hardly white-coat worthy.

I have no experience with windows 7 myself.  All I can suggest is if it has it to try compatibility modes and things.

As a side note am I the only one who noticed a sharp increase in DF won't work for me posts?  I saw 3 in the last month, and I never go to the bug reports section.  I think before that I usually saw about 1 a year.  Makes me wonder what could be the cause.
More new players who put things in their program folders on Operating Systems that put the save files in 'secure' directories.  Thats my guess.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 12:40:36 am »

I've also played DF in the Windows 7 Beta without having any problems. I updated to the Release Candidate a couple days ago, but I haven't played DF yet since then.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 05:40:46 am »

It's not that much faster than Vista, and it's certianly not any faster than XP...

But at the same time that is like saying the 1973 Gremlin is faster than a 2008 Prius.

Sure, they are both cars and the both run on the same roads--but they were built for different times, and with different requirements.

Vista adds a whole lotta style (which I am unable to say about either the Gremlin or the Prius) and flash. 7 adds a whole lotta stability and REFINES the flash. It also greately reduces the annoying "Are you sure you want to do this?" dialog.

Think of it this way:

Windows Vista = Windows ME
Windows 7 = Windows XP

or to put it a more dwarvenly way:

Windows Vista = Dwarven Atom Smasher
Windows 7 = Water/Magma flood

Okay, thanks for the informations.  8)

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 09:15:08 am »

While we're on the off-topic discussion a bit, the speed goal for Windows 7 wasn't aimed at modern systems but rather systems that are somewhere between the requirements and recommendations for Windows Vista and perhaps even a little weaker than the requirements. Systems that have really weak video (like GMA 950) and lower end single-core processors. So while the speed increase might not seem that big on a Core 2 Duo with a mid-range current gen video card, the increase could be pretty massive for someone on an eMachine.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:22:35 am by Frobozz »

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 10:32:32 am »

More new players who put things in their program folders on Operating Systems that put the save files in 'secure' directories.  Thats my guess.

Well that should be completely transparent to dwarf fortress, or any other program for that matter.  At least that's how it is designed to work.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 08:32:51 pm »

Well I've not had this current game crash at all even after hours of prolonged play.

It may have been the fact that I tried to keep this system a little organized (even though it all descends into decay after a couple of months anyway :-)), I put DF in my Program Files folder. It's now on my Desktop where it's always been and it's fine.

If that was not the issue, then it was more sinister. Maybe the world I was playing with was bugged somehow, because I did gen a new one for this current game.