Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need details on drawbrige crush  (Read 668 times)

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
Need details on drawbrige crush
« on: April 18, 2009, 02:09:17 pm »

I've been reading around that a drawbridge can fling or crush a dwarf while it's raised.
How does that work exactly? More precisely, where should a dwarf be standing on a bridge to get crushed when the bridge is raised? Is it where the bridge forms a wall?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:33:27 pm by Redhades »

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Need details on drawbrige crush
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:40:33 pm »

The Dwarven Atom Smasher is when things UNDER the bridge are crushed, like, you have a drawbridge raised, you put stuff, dwarves, whatever under it, and then lower it, that stuff is gone for good, never to be seen again.

As for flinging, that's when a dwarf or item or anything(aside from a few select enemies.) is standing on the bridge and it is raised or retracted.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 02:45:19 pm »

And according to the wiki it gets flung in a random direction, not anything related to how the bridge raises.  (Haven't witnessed catching anyone on mine yet.)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:47:38 pm »

If flung into a wall that is adjacent to the side of the drawbridge that acts as a wall when raised, the dwarf will get crushed.

To make a drawbridge, you must choose a direction in which to raise it.  Otherwise, it is a retractable bridge.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 03:04:45 pm »

Great info, thanks!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 06:46:39 pm »

I believe if you're raising a bridge and the dwarf (or whoever) is standing on one of the tiles that will become the raised bridge (as opposed to one of the tiles that will become empty), they are also crushed. This may only happen if there is a floor above.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 11:13:23 am »

This is true (not the part with the floor above, however) and I thought I had actually posted this. Seems I forgot to  ;D

Anyways, the tiles of the bridge that becomes a wall will crush items&creatures that are standing on those tiles while the bridge is lowered, too. And if you think about it, stuff cannot move onto that tile while the bridge is raised, actually, unless you drop it from above, which, however had (or has?) some bugs related to it. I tend to avoid dropping stuff onto that tile when the bridge is raised.

Also, I THINK (not 100% sure) not everything will be crushed. There IS a small chance that stuff will get flung around when the bridge is being raised, but most stuff will be smashed. The stuff being flung could have had other reasons in my setup, however, so that's why I cant say for sure.