Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves and fortifications  (Read 868 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves and fortifications
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:51:36 pm »

Recently, I'VE GROWN FOND OF marksdwarves and their fantasticacious way of firing arrows as fast as you can spit fleas.

However, I have a question about their use of fortifications on walls and towers. If a marksdwarf is standing five tiles away from a fortification, and goblins are approaching, is he smart enough to move adjacent to the fortification before firing his crossbow upon the invaders? If so, this would make my towers much easier to design, as I currently make them all with one tile wide floors, so that my archers are forced to be next to the fortification.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves and fortifications
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:51 pm »

They probably are. If the tower is a few z-levels high, then it's even more likely, since they won't be able to see the enemy unless they're near the fortification.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:12:05 am »

put each one in a seperate squad and have the station points next to the fortifications.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:31:01 am »

I don't think they're smart enough to do this ... they might decide that the best way to reach the enemy once it disappears out of view is to climb down and circle around the tower, depending on your design. I generally use 2 tiles that they can stand on, don't want them falling over eachother trying to get into position...

.. besides the fact of the matter is that they ARE going to get hurt. They ARE going to be hit and I'll be damned if the nurses have to enter goblin line of fire and stick close to the fortifications just to retrieve the wounded. Best solution is (as TerminatorII said) to position them 1 and 1 .. otherwise there's also the situation in which the commander who is positioned at the best spot wastes his 30 bolts and runs off to get more, his soldiers abandoning their post to assist him.

As for me I hate that kind of micro management in a game where those I control are drunks who only obey when they Frekkin' feellsi like it mnathey!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 04:23:32 pm »

put each one in a seperate squad and have the station points next to the fortifications.
I could do that, but I hate to have to go through 30 squads of 2 guy and either tell them to stand down, activate, train, etc. It's just a big pain in the ass.

What a bummer. I can't wait till the next update, though, because then I can just have multiple marksdwarves cycle their duties in different towers.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:27:19 pm »

well if your like me and lazy, just put them all in one squad during peace, and then when something happens put them in the tower