Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a stinking pit!  (Read 1160 times)

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a stinking pit!
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:20:22 am »

I got tired of looking at the remains of animals lolling about outside my fortress so I decided to convert an empty pond into a trash heap. Now there is a constant cloud of fug billowing from the hole, disgusting everyone unfortunate enough to walk near it, and my bone carver is quickly becoming grumpy due to the great deal of time he spends retrieving bones from the miasmic hole.

Now, I was under the impression that as long as the contents of the refuse pile were exposed to open air (and it is, it used to be a pond so it's now basically a muddy crater) then they wouldn't rot and produce thick clouds of foul garbage sweat. Clearly that is not the case. What's the deal?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a stinking pit!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:46:40 am »

There probably is one square designated as refusepile that has a roof above.
I tried to use grates once(thought thay would have ventilated enough) and it was the same as having a roof.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:10:25 am »

If you designate a "bones only" refuse stockpile near your craftdwarf's workshop(s), your carver won't need to go into the pit at all.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:38:44 am »

There probably is one square designated as refusepile that has a roof above.
I tried to use grates once(thought thay would have ventilated enough) and it was the same as having a roof.

Huh. I reckon that was it. Didn't stop the stink from flying out the top though!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:45:33 am »

Don't designate the bottom of the dry pond as the dump area, designate the upper edge of the pond.  Dorfs will throw stuff down, and you can be sure it's open to the sky.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:30:22 am »

The problem with a 'bones only' pit is then a hauler will have to deal with the miasma as he carries the bones newly liberated from their rotting goblin body from the main refuse stockpile to the bone stockpile. But really, I'd let my dwarves suck it up. It'll either make them tougher or causefun
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:16:52 am »

The problem with a 'bones only' pit is then a hauler will have to deal with the miasma as he carries the bones newly liberated from their rotting goblin body from the main refuse stockpile to the bone stockpile. But really, I'd let my dwarves suck it up. It'll either make them tougher or causefun

Not necessarily. Have a refuse pile outside that only takes corpses/rot-capable things. Have a bone pile inside that only takes bones and shells.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 10:04:51 am »

Ponds count as inside AFAIK. You can build beds and chairs in them when you drain them.

Build the trade depot next to it and when the elves arrive, set the pit on fire. Miasma AND smoke = happy elves ;) Then catch the elves in cage traps and throw them in the burning miasma pit.

Fun.

Have several pits and switch between them. When one burns up, use it as a source of bones. Of course, it needs 1/7 magma dropper to make stuff burn and not disintegrate.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:40:08 pm »

Not necessarily. Have a refuse pile outside that only takes corpses/rot-capable things. Have a bone pile inside that only takes bones and shells.
This also prevents your bones from evaporating under the harsh light of the sun.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned