Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp Problem  (Read 815 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Carp Problem
« on: April 18, 2009, 04:41:21 am »

So i have a minor carp problem, and by minor carp problem i mean there are like 30 of the buggers (along with various other fishies) in my river.

This probably wouldn't be much of a problem in and of itself, but i've decided to challenge myself by doing the 'live like a human' challenge as close as possible, and as a part of that i'd like to play around with moats, irrigation systems and water in general.

So, any ideas on how i can deal with the carp in the river so i can make it safe(ish)?

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Carp Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 04:50:03 am »

Well, you could try to redirect a part of the river off to the side a little ways, but before allowing the water into the channel put some vertical bars in it to prevent creatures from coming into your little dwarf-made stream/pond.  But as to the carp in the river itself, not that I know of.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:54:05 am »

I'm thinking dam the river and air-drown the cute widdle killer fish, is that possible?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 05:15:33 am »

Hah, a human just chased a muskox into the river and they both got eaten by the carp.

On further thought, would i be able to pump water out of the river faster than water can flow in?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 05:18:49 am »

Do you have magma? If you do, you could either dam the river and let the fish drown in the air or completely fill it with obsidian ;)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 05:38:38 am »

No, no magma. I decided to cheat a bit with the Human challenge and start on a human town to save myself some trouble, although i intend to do something similar later in a completely new spot. Only ever managed to find one human town with magma next to it, and i've long since lost that world :(

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 08:15:05 am »

Go into the raws, find the fish one, change the carp attack from 1-6 GORE to 1-2 BLUDGEON (check my spelling I've not had coffee this morning yet), and maybe remove the [CAN_LATCH] token. This will make Carp much safer to be around.

Of course if you don't want to mod the raws you can always set up a troop of crossbow troops and have them shoot at the fish in the water (yes that will work) eventually they will kill all the carp.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:34:07 am »

The most simple, and satisfying solution is to build a little 1z-level high platform above the water, and get a quick squad of marksmen up there with crossbows and shoot the carp to peices.

The platform might be unnessicary, but you want to minimize the chance one of your humans getting too close the water's edge. Carp seek and destroy any and all neutrals on the water's edge, so you could bait the entire river with a kitten on a rope if need be.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 09:41:52 am »

I've found that giving Carp the ability to breathe air and walk on land, combined with digging ramps into your water sources at regular intervals, makes them significantly less terrifying.(since it's the drowning that kills your dwarf, not the carp itself)

Bonus: Carp-leather armor.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.