Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod file to always show translated names rather than dwarven.  (Read 623 times)

jorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb71g7/n/language_DWARF-plaintext_txt

I used excel to quickly mod the language_dwarf.txt file to "remove" dwarven version of words.
This means places, artifacts and dwarf name will always show as the translated version.
So for example "Aknun Katdirlist" will show as "Hawk Glimmergaze" on all screens.
Download the above file and rename it to language_dwarf.txt.

A lot of people will hate this :). However on plus side it makes individual dwarves easier to remember, and you'll notice some cool/amusing names you may have otherwise missed.
(for example I found my engineers/mechanics are called "godpulley" and "block squarewheel". My mason is amusing known by all as "bridgestill unmoving"  which I'm gonna assume is what the others call him behind his back)

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod file to always show translated names rather than dwarven.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:11:54 pm »

There's a number of items where the "word name" contains things like "VERB" or "_NOUN" or " STORM" suffixed, to distinguish between different uses of the same word, and you still have these in your file. I'd made one myself that has those trimmed, and just put it up on DFFD. (I made it its own language, and just called it "English", since I intended it for use with new races.)
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

jorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod file to always show translated names rather than dwarven.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:22:36 am »

Thanks for the info - will look out for that in future.