Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I did not ask for these friends  (Read 829 times)

Bryan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I did not ask for these friends
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:24:48 pm »

I am trying to make a crack goblin fighting fortress to infiltrate and destroy goblin towers.  I am told by the dwarf wiki that it is possible to embark to a location with a goblin town and bring doom upon their filthy doomed heads yet when ever I assemble my team an embark I find that the goblins are friendly.  What gives?  Is there a way to prevent this.  I have heard that they will turn hostile when the first siege happens but by then I will be well established and that is no fun.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I did not ask for these friends
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:30:33 pm »

If you wish to do this, adventure mode is the easiest method.

The other option is to find a goblin entity which you're at war with, and create your settlement there.  That is difficult to find though, as starting a game where a dwarven civilization is in active war with a goblin civilization is highly unlikely.   I think I went through 20-30 worlds looking for it last time.

And even then, I'm not sure 100% if it'll work.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:55:40 pm »

I am having a hard time right now getting any sieges. I have it so there are 6 races (all [can_learn] [can_civ]) and NONE of them will attack me.... ohh well.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:28:06 pm »

-While your there dont forget to remove (d-n) the tower support

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:52:09 pm »

There is some bug in the current version that causes hostile civs to be friendly if you embark on their city.

I'm pretty sure 39c (?) you could embark on hostile cities. It was how I first learned the very basics of Dwarf Mode after figuring out adventure mode.

Just send in your 7 stalwart warriors to be torn to peices by the resident demon and then... RECLAIM MODE! Rinse and repeat untill you have a vacant goblin city.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:59:39 pm »

If you wish to do this, adventure mode is the easiest method.

What he said. I think the easiest way would be to train up an adventurer and make minced meat out of the local gobbo tower. I have, however, found completely empty towers before (though it had a GCS up the top floor) in adventure mode. Grab a guy, train him up and start scouting for towers!

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 03:05:51 pm »

Adventure mode is fine and dandy, but if you save scum it can corrupt your save files and world-gen. All it takes is a stray bolt from off screen to end hours of stat grinding and preparation when taking on a town.

Bryan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:48:58 pm »

I am not looking to just kill the goblins.  I wanted to create a fortress under the threat of a goblin tower.  So unfortunately adventure mode is not going to get me what I am looking for.  But if it is a bug of the current version maybe this is something better addressed to the modding forum.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 05:17:57 pm »

Modding won't fix it; it's a side effect of last year's Army Arc prelims. To be absolutely sure, I'd go back to 38c.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:42:54 pm »

Well if being currently at war with that race starts them out hostile you can gen a world and grab the seed for it then look at legends for any time they've been at war with your guys, and then re-gen the world off of that seed but with an end year during that war.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.