Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question marks  (Read 10950 times)

dimex2000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
question marks
« on: April 19, 2009, 03:53:23 am »

HI all
I pretty new to DF but those "The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress" are helping me big time

I have started to se some dwarfs blinking with a blue or red question mark, i cant seam to figure out what it is about, or what to do about it.
(i have searced wiki and forums )

Kazmahu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: question marks
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:26:32 am »

It is in the wiki, along with other flashing overlays, on this page: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Status_icon. To save you a moment, blue ?s mean a dwarf has no job and no destination (bludgin/idling in the meeting hall seem to count as jobs) and red ones mean a dwarf can't find a path (usually when a door they were trying to use is shut, they'll automatically try to find a way around).

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:26 am »

Yeah, every time a dwarf completes a task, or has one canceled, they seek a new one.  Some take longer than others, and some blow it off and just go back to the meeting hall and do nothing for a while. (This ~may~ be related to personality, not sure.)

While they're seeking a new mission in life, that question mark flashes.  They all do it, no big unless one is stuck in that mode.

dimex2000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:18:47 am »

thanks

I was worried becorse i thourt they where going mad or some of those things

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:18:11 am »

That's one of the exclamation points.  Good to read over those (wiki link above) and know the bad ones.  (I bookmarked them.)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 11:07:32 am »

HAH I KNEW it  ;D

I was watching my dwarves and I remember in the beginning I was a bit worried by that red question mark. But just by watching them I deducted that this red ? means they are updating their path. I r teh smartz.

But I have to admit, I never figured out what the blue one meant  ;D

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 11:10:04 am »

u r taht.

I had a mining project across the map that was not progressing very quickly, so I installed a door and locked my miners in there until it was done.  I found out what several of those mean.  ::)